No mackerel but a longtail

muzz

A week back I took my girlfriends old man out for a day on Moreton, my third time out there and his first time fishing in over thirty years, so I told him not to expect too much.

After messing around in the morning sounding the artificial reefs off Peel I thought that we would go for a look around Amity, just a bit of sight seeing and for me to do some reccy work watching the sounder. With the long tail season approaching we were on the look out for working birds and any signs of surface action.

As we rolled around the northern side of Peel I saw the water getting smashed up with birds bombing in, so we got in for a closer look I gave him my 2500 reel on 20lb rod loaded with a natural colored 4â€SP and told him to cast as far into the schooling fish as he could, mean while I was using a 2508 reel spooled with 8lb on a Samurai 302 and a natural 3†SP. We both managed to land our casts into the school and both felt weight, then nothing. Wound in our now lureless rigs. I thought that this was a bit strange so rigged us both up again bumped the leaders up to 25lb, cast out again, weight on the line, drag buzzing, then nothing. Rigged us up again cast out into the school weight on, then nothing. As we wound in, the boat floated over the school and I saw around thirty to forty mackerel smashing into a ball of baitfish. Now I knew what I was up against, and I didn’t have any wire trace in the boat. So all we could do was sit and watch them.

After that encounter I decided to continue on our way up to Amity, and at least pull into the shop there and get some wire, just in case. We cast some lures around the rock wall picking up a few bream until it was time to head back home. All this time I was replaying the morning sighting of mackerel over in my head, just hoping that we would come across them now I had some wire trace.

As we passed through the spot that had the mackerel in the morning we had our eyes focused for anything on the surface, then boom a longtail launch out of the water about 100m from the boat. Now I know that I was severely under gunned with my 8lb outfit but what the hell. After a few casts and chasing the school I finally landed my 3†SP in the guts of the school, then It occurred to me, argh, how much line have I got on here. Then within seconds the 2508 started screaming, huh I’ve got one! Now the fun begins, coaching my girlfriends dad, who hasn’t driven a boat in years, how to drive my tiller steer 60hp boat, not only that but how to chase down a fish. With me barking out orders, I was gaining line back. He did very well for a first time boat operator chasing down a speedster! After a 45 min battle and covering quite a few kilometers it was beside the boat. Luckily I had my gaff in the boat from a previous trip and with a well place gaff shot it was in the boat. With a deep sigh of relief, I had my first longtail in the boat.

Weighed in at 10kgs

post-10775-144598787945_thumb.jpg

post-10775-144598787961_thumb.jpg

Congrates on the longtail mate.

They sure go hard.

You dont need wire for spotties. Try using halco 40gram twisties, spaynos or laser 50 grams. They long slugs so you have less likely chance of being snipped. You get bitten off if you cast in middle of school. Try casting on the sides. And you have to retrive fast to get stop getting bitten off. I lost countless lures on spotties this year until i learnt how to catch them properly.

I thought the spotties disappeared but looks like they in different side of bay

Cheers for report.

Shane

Thanks Angus, I'll understand formatting one day.

Shane the mackerel had vertical strips. I thought maybe narrow bar? I'm definitely prepared for anything now. I have some of my blue water gear permanently in the boat, just in case...

A camera with Polaroid lens would have been great for when they were schooling around the boat.

Thanks Angus, I'll understand formatting one day.

Shane the mackerel had vertical strips. I thought maybe narrow bar? I'm definitely prepared for anything now. I have some of my blue water gear permanently in the boat, just in case...

A camera with Polaroid lens would have been great for when they were schooling around the boat.

They spottie mackerel im pretty sure. Check my reports i have caught a fair few this year in the bay lol.

I heard from a few mates they that side of bay but couldnt find any few times i being out lately. Now i have a rough idea where they are lol. Hopefully they play the game tomorrow.

. I use stradic 5000 fj with 20lb braid 20lb leader. Up the leader when sharks around to get them in boat quick. Once the eskys looking good than we go light gear for fun lol. No fun in having a empty tackle box and a empty esky :P

Archived