Barra Gear - advice please

Old Scaley

Hoping to head back up the cape later this year and need a new barra outfit. The last one was a Curado/Daiwa TD combo that someone liked better than I did and lifted it from the boat at the ramp one day.

I see Motackle have livefibre impoundment barra rods at $169 at the moment (other sites have them around $360) and maybe teaming it up with a Daiwa Saltist or a Shimano Curado 300 DSV. Never seen one of these rods in the flesh so not sure if it would match those reels or not? Will be up creeks and rivers and casting at drains and mangroves.

Don't want to spend a fortune, and the gear needs to be sturdy enough to stand up to that sort of trip (lots of bashing around in boats and in rod tubes on the roof of the fourby)without a good wash for a few weeks, so any advice wlecome. Cheers, Steve

Sounds like a decent set up Steve , The live fibre are very respectable and tough as nails with a soft tip. I have a friend with 2 different weights and he swears by them. He runs a calcutter 50 and 100 on them and has caught plenty of big Tinaroo Barra on them.

I picked up a Shimano Sahara bait caster 2-4kg 6 ft a few years back as a back up rod for a trip north and for around $60 from BCF I was very impressed for the price, action is a little soft but it loads up to the butt well and casts well.

I also love the calcutter baitcasters (bit Old school but there still being built for a good reason), I currently use a calcutter 50 with 15lb on a 3-6 kg T Curve for jacks and Barra, never let me down. Favoutrite baitcaster is the Daiwa SOL but quite expensive and small line capicity. I dont know if they are still available though. Lost my last one over board attached to a GL3 662 in the Noosa river. :unsure:

Archived