VMR membership - don't leave home without it!!

Bluevien

It started like any other early morning fishing trip. Got to Pinkenba boat ramp at 0515 on Friday and was on the water by 0530. I was taking a mate for his first fish on the Brissy River and if the wind died down maybe a quick zip out to Mud.

We headed for luggage point for a bit of dead bait fishing without luck. Next we went back to Boggy Creek for some livies. Hit another spot again without luck. 3rd stop was back to Boggy for some SP fishing. This is were things went a little wrong.

After the 2nd drift, the motor wouldn't start. I've had issues before with loose connections which could be fixed but this time this wasn't the case. The motor tilted, the sounder was working but there was not enough in the battery to kick the motor over.

My mate had a worried look on his face thinking we'd have to row 5kms back to the boat ramp. This was a first for me too but one phone call to the Redcliffe VMR with my associate membership details had us waiting for the boys to tow us back to the ramp free of charge. With the V sheet up we kept on fishing and managed to catch a bream and drop a flathead while we waited.

BoggycreekApr12.jpg

I am thankful I could smile in this pic (and stand in knee deep water) because we could have been stuck in the bay with a dead motor but we made the most of our situation as it could have been much worse... we were lucky.

Peter and John had towed the rubber duckie from their base in Reddy to Pinkenba to come and get us and they couldn't have been more helpful. So a big shout out to them and also I wanted to let everyone know that there is no better use for $55 if you own a boat. My renewal is up in 2 days so my next job is to fill it out and mail it in the morning.

The battery was stuffed. It had lost a cell and had to be replaced. Not much I could've done about it but there were signs that it was going so now I know what to look out for. So do yourselves a favour, support your local VMR... it could save you money or your life one day.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks for the reminder, have been meaning to join for years but always seems to skip my mind.

BTW is it possible to manually start your outboard? My 902 stroke has a pull start cord under the cowling you can attach. Never tried it so not sure how easy/hard it is.

Thanks for the reminder, have been meaning to join for years but always seems to skip my mind.

BTW is it possible to manually start your outboard? My 902 stroke has a pull start cord under the cowling you can attach. Never tried it so not sure how easy/hard it is.

Yeah, mine has a pull chord on the inside of the cowling also. I tried what the manual said but I couldn't start it. Once I have the new battery sorted I'll give it another try while on dry land to see if I can get it going with the battery disconnected.

Thanks for the reminder. Glad u got back ok.

I just paid up for a Gold Associate Membership with VMR Southport, only $66. I've been towed once already this year by a good samaritan after a 120km round trip, luckily breaking down at the south end of Bribie where there is plenty of boat traffic to help, instead of offshore Cape Moreton (a nightmare tow, big bucks).

Well worth it.

As a matter of interest, how many offers of help did you get with the V sheet out?

Funny about that. There weren't very many boats out but 1 fella cruised by on his way back to boggy boat ramp without a wave or "are u okay mate"? and the port security patrol went by 3 times without stopping. We were only 100m from the pipe so blind Freddie could see us. It was obvious we weren't in trouble but very interesting no one stopped. I've towed a couple of guys in trouble and always ask if I see anyone in obvious strife. Just glad we were only in Boggy and not out off Mud or further.

I was about to say "what have you done with my boat!". Glad it all worked out for you, strange you couldn't pull start the motor.

Out of curiousity your battery would only be a year or two old?

Haha, you want another boat, eug? You can have it for spares!!! The battery was just over 2 years old, new with the boat. The fella who checked it for me said he had never seen that brand before and that it was not quite right for my setup. He recommended the next size up which I will get. You might want to check what they put in yours.

Thanks for the heads up i didn't know about this.

I had a look online so i can register and can't find much info other than an online form to register....

My question is, which VMR should I register with? is this more a question of picking one

closest to the area i usually go boating? or does it not matter for the closest VMR would be dispacthed

if you needed a tow etc...?

Any feedback would be good, thanks ;)

Haha, you want another boat, eug? You can have it for spares!!! The battery was just over 2 years old, new with the boat. The fella who checked it for me said he had never seen that brand before and that it was not quite right for my setup. He recommended the next size up which I will get. You might want to check what they put in yours.

haha... i'll know where to look in future. mine gets topped up with the charger when not in use (3 years old), i always thought it was a little small for the application but never had dramas except once when i got it back from the dealer and went straight on the water (could pull start it).

If you have a flat battery and need to pull start the motor you must leave the battery connected.

Starting a motor with no battery can fry the rectifier or other parts of the charging system.

A lot of guys fail to pull start a motor because they forget to turn the ignition on first.

Thanks for the heads up i didn't know about this.

I had a look online so i can register and can't find much info other than an online form to register....

My question is, which VMR should I register with? is this more a question of picking one

closest to the area i usually go boating? or does it not matter for the closest VMR would be dispacthed

if you needed a tow etc...?

Any feedback would be good, thanks ;)

Doesn't matter which one you join, the closest one to where you are will respond.

Ring round, their annual fees are much the same, but some charge quite hefty initial joining fees.

I thought it was an offence to not help someone in trouble like this?

As long as you won't put urself or the other boaty in danger I thought it was law that u had to help them??

Certainly bad form to ignore one, I think your right about it being a requirement to respond if you can do so safely, but not sure.

Thats the reason I asked, see quite a few stories of V sheets being ignored. Thats got to be about as visible as you can make it.

Archived