Trolling Techniques

Gary_C

I'm not quite sure what has been happening lately, but we have 2 things occurring on the forum lately that I think may need to be addressed before this community goes the way of other fishing forums recently referenced.

1. I've noticed a HUGE increase in people trolling the forum over the past few weeks. I will grant that my observation is relative and based simply on my own perception, meaning: up until a few weeks ago trolls were rare enough that I didn't notice them.

2. I've noticed that a lot of the established members of this forum and some of the non-established members (myself included) have been caught and drawn into having some stupid arguments or giving advice to people who have no intention whatsoever of heeding the advice.

I know that Brian has been on holiday, but I have met so many members of this community that I am absolutely amazed that we cannot manage to self moderate.

I sent a suggestion to Webmaster that they institute an "ignore" function on the site so members could choose particular people whose posts would not be displayed to you. My suggestion was $1 per person on the ignore list as a one time fee.

We probably need Brian and Henry to keep us in line at times, but we probably should learn to moderate ourselves or at least ignore the people who annoy us.

Thoughts?

Gary thanks . It just goes to show that you are never too old to learn. I didnt even know about the other meaning or the word until I looked it up on google. I thought that it only meant trying to catch fish or cruising around the valley late at night.

Cheers

Ray

I think it's a great idea, i'm pretty sure there are already a few preacutions in place to prevent people from being 'trolls', but something like an ignore function could have it's uses.

This was a topic from 2 weeks ago but it has a warning about Trolls and those alike.

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/88-news/411679-general-warning#411679

At the end of the day i'm sure they know who they are and what they're doing, if they can't take genuine and helpful advice i guess it's their loss.

Cheers

Rob

in previous forums we implemented a warning quota, moderators could issue a % warning depending on the severity of the rule broken. once that quota reached 100% then that member would get a 1 week ban for the first offence, 2 week ban for the second and so forth.

similar to the blue circles we now have under the avatar except only each member could see their own quota. that way there was a very visual way of knowing when you stepped out of line. only way you could drop the quota was to do something useful, put up a DIY thread or good behaviour for 1 year = 10% reduction, etc.

some food for thought

cheers

eug

The easiest way to sort the problem out is to actually Ignore them, don't post under the thread. If they are trolling not even acknowledging them with a response will get the point across. Getting stuck into a back and forth makes everyone go down to their level. Also putting light threats back at them like "i hope u have a good dental plan" or "that guy has guns, better not mess with him" etc is no better then the initial troll.

I guess also having a thank you button is good, maybe a button to disagree or something along the lines will be good too without having to respond to trolls. Youtube has a like or dislike button.

The easiest way to sort the problem out is to actually Ignore them, don't post under the thread. If they are trolling not even acknowledging them with a response will get the point across. Getting stuck into a back and forth makes everyone go down to their level. Also putting light threats back at them like "i hope u have a good dental plan" or "that guy has guns, better not mess with him" etc is no better then the initial troll.

I guess also having a thank you button is good, maybe a button to disagree or something along the lines will be good too without having to respond to trolls. Youtube has a like or dislike button.[/quote]

Great idea Nitris,

There has been a few times I wished this site had a "like" button, I have used the thankyou button in its place before but the more appropriate button would've been Like.

My little piece...

Archived