Tuna woes.

sehrguht

Got the call from the boss early today that the apprentice is crook and it looked like rain, i didn't argue and loaded up the boat after looking at the forecast.

Got to cleveland around 9am and it was pretty lumpy but no rain so that was good. Talked to some guys at the ramp and he already had one longy so my hopes were up.

Went around the horseshoe bay side of peel and found no birds or fish visible so i kept driving around to the northeast where the mack tuna were playing. after a few casts i got a small mack tuna and dragged it in without any drag pulled. saed it for a shark bait that i might put out this weekend.

Chased the longies for ages all around the place with perfect casts over them with all sorts of different slugs plastics and a popper with only one small hit on the slug that ddint hookup.

Now i chased them almost non stop from 9 till 4 and had so many good casts it makes me wonder if 20lb would make them shy away?

I threw a slug on 6lb to see if it would help and it seemed that they lightly tapped that but not enought to hookup.

i was out there the other day for similar results, they were really flighty only popping up in small groups here and there and they wouldn't touch anything on 20lb. I did get some interest on 4lb leader and a small plastic but not that i had much of a chance :pinch:

I tryed 5inch snapbacks on 1/2ounce jighead and white zman 3.5inch on a 3/8th. multiple different brands and sizes of slugs. moslty 20lb leader i think i will try 12lb next time.

Chased them almost non stop from 9 till 4 and had so many good casts it makes me wonder if 20lb would make them shy away?

I threw a small slug on 6lb to see if it would help and it seemed that they lightly tapped that but not enough to hookup.

They seemed to be feeding into the wind pretty much all day even when the tide was rushing in. i tryed every direction and retrieve that i could think of.

Ended up with 5 pike, a grinner, three mack tuna around 30cm and a bit of sunburn.

I got mine a few weeks back on 3/8head 4" plastic, pale white clearish colour with a little bit of purple flash. 8lb mainline 20lb fluorocarbon rockfish leader.

Just after the change from low to high tide.

On the change of tides topic, what tides are most people seeing these speedsters on?

Muzz

IMO Longies aren't as fussy as Macs and have always had interest from big plastics, 5inch pink snapbacks especially. One technique you might try is to cast well in front of the pack and let the lure sink with a few twitches on the way. I do this with fly and always get a hook-up.

Norm

Hi mate, sounds like you are on the right plastic 5 inch pink snapback or the Zmanns Electric chicken. One thing I can say is that let it sink below the action if they aren't taking surface offerings and something will grab it (normally the larger tuna hanging on for an easy meal). Sometimes a quick flick and fast retrieve with a couple of pauses so it looks like a wounded fish.

good luck and keep trying

Kev

Archived