Help for a beginner

mican

Hi, I have NO knowledge about fishing but I am interested to learn. I decided to join to this forum to collect ideas.I wanted to catch salted water fish like Meckerel and etc.

Can anyone give advise as to how to start, what to prepare, where to buy stuff, and, where and when to go fishing?

Your reply is much appreciated.

Mican

Gday Mican we are having a social in 3 weeks time chasing tuna in the bay and you can get deckie spots if you jump in early or follow some guys out if you have your own boat i suggest getting some metal slugs from your nearest tackle store in a few diferent sizes to use in cobination with a spinning reel with plenty of line on. This time of year your likely to hook into some mackerel while chasing the tuna shcools as ther do run together its alot of fun these socials and you would learn alot from the guys going.

Welcome to the site and don't be afraid to join in on any of the events thats here

Hi guys,

First of all, let me thank you for the warm welcome greetings which exactly what a newbie needs.

@tugger: Thanks for the invitation but I will see how much knowledge and things I could get before the event. Also, I don't have a boat either, sorry.

@daveylad and baptism: I am located in Oxley (further south from Indooroopilly). As a starter, I think I do have an option to buy used stuff like going in to Rocklea market. I will upgrade later as needed.

@mathew: I might be in Shorncliffe next week. I'll see if I can drop by. Thanks.

hey dude, just a bit of advice, if you go to the markets and buy metal slugs/jigs the chances of them having decent components ( the little split ring that hold the treble hook and the hooks) is quite small. so its all very well starting out with cheap gear but mackerel show no mercy when fighting for their life, so my advice if you dont want to spend too much would be to pop into bcf and buy the " gillies" slugs there about 5 bucks each and there pretty good!

definately try go to the social, if you cant get a deckie spot on someones boat its worth just going along to the after part and a beer at the grandview hotel as you'll get to meet a heap of the members on here and you'll find the advice and help comes thick and fast once someone knows your face!

just my 2 c worth

callum

Archived