Question to Yakkers: Rudders and Wind

ahmedy14

Hi all.

So I've recently been using my not-so-recently-purchased Viking Profish and I've noticed a few massive differences between this 4m kayak and my old 2.7m Venturer kayak. Such a difference that it could even change my mind in the type of yak I use.

Anyway, when ever I use my Profish (which has no rudder) in only moderate winds as low as 9 knots I find that I can only paddle comfortably in 3 directions: Directly against the wind; same direction as the wind; and at right angles to the wind. Also, it is rather difficult to turn the yak against the wind.

My question i wanted to ask is will a rudder make that much of a difference or am I just weak? :(:(

The rudder should make a big difference, as you'll be able to turn the rudder slightly to continuously turn into the wind - negating any effect the wind has of pushing you in a circle...

You will be able to turn the kayak a lot quicker and have more control in currents as well.

The added bonus is that you will largely be able to just keep paddling in your rhythm and let the rudder steer the kayak, as opposed to have to go L, L, L , R , L L L with the paddle.

A rudder will help alot but the one that goes on the Profish is pretty small and not very effective, as for turning without it if it's into some chop and wind it's going to be hard rudder or not especially as the yaks get longer.

Cheers

Mark

reason for a hobie :evil:

A rudder will help alot but the one that goes on the Profish is pretty small and not very effective, as for turning without it if it's into some chop and wind it's going to be hard rudder or not especially as the yaks get longer.

Cheers

Mark

Having no paddle a hobie has to be moving forward with water going over the rudder to allow it to turn with a paddle yak I can turn on the spot regardless of wind or chop albeit with quite a bit of effort. B)

Cheers

Mark

I will be fitting a bigger rudder to the tempo because as Mark said it is quite small and is still not a great deal of help. The Hobie's that I have had a peddle of are much easier to keep straight wind or no wind, moving or not moving. Turn the rudder in the direction you want and it goes there, perfect.

Cheers

Mark

Having no paddle a hobie has to be moving forward with water going over the rudder to allow it to turn with a paddle yak I can turn on the spot regardless of wind or chop albeit with quite a bit of effort. B)

Cheers

Mark

Take your hobie paddle out with you as well. I always take my paddle, as does other guys I go with.

Problem solved :cheer:

Thanks for the hints boys. I believe a rudder costs about $300, which ain't too bad, but then again it's not the most efficient of rudders.

Tarpon 140 & 120 rudders are supposed to be superior to the viking's. Tarpon seats are apparently tops too.

Oh well, will give it some thought and decide on something.

Thanks for the hints boys. I believe a rudder costs about $300, which ain't too bad, but then again it's not the most efficient of rudders.

Tarpon 140 & 120 rudders are supposed to be superior to the viking's. Tarpon seats are apparently tops too.

Oh well, will give it some thought and decide on something.

haha, are we thinking of getting a Tarpon? I might have to join you if that's the case.

Cheers

Mark

Cheers

Mark

Take your hobie paddle out with you as well. I always take my paddle, as does other guys I go with.

Problem solved :cheer:

I always take my paddle with me in the hobie.

Its a safety device. If peddles fail or Kreel gets to close in his yak.

Archived