AFO Moreton Bay Tuna Social 27th May 2012

PlasticFantastic

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its going to be a bit busy at the ramp with 20 boats all rocking up at the same time to take off lol. Doesn't look like you can land a boat near the meeting spot either, looks a bit shallow.

Good luck, pretty keen of hooking up to a long tail for it then spend the next hour getting it in lol.

Hi Guys,

If anyone has a deckie spot and spot me a rod, i would love to come out and join in the fun, more then happy to split fuel and what not, will even throw in some beers to sweeten the deal for having a rookie aboard =P.

Hey guys, any info on the whereabouts of LT's in the northern bay, seems to be pretty quiet at the moment. Only heard of reports north of Caloundra and the odd single around the southern bay. I'll be fishing the Bribie Flyfishing comp this weekend and can't make this event.

norm

Hey guys, any info on the whereabouts of LT's in the northern bay, seems to be pretty quiet at the moment. Only heard of reports north of Caloundra and the odd single around the southern bay. I'll be fishing the Bribie Flyfishing comp this weekend and can't make this event.

norm

My brother and I saw a couple of big lOngies jumping around te north cardinal buoy at mud on the weekend. They would pop up for literally 3 seconds then dive down. The weird thing is there was at least 15 boats all surrounding the buoy and the tuna were popping up all between the boats!

Has anyone got tips for how to remove and upgrade trebles? I spent 25mins last night to do one on a halco twisty! Was very frustrating

Im keen to give this one a go and im willing to take someone on board (one experienced fisho :) )with me and teach/show on how to catch these type of fish.If its ok i would like one of the mods to choose this position and let me know. the rig we will be in is 4.2 allycraft with a 40hp merc as you can see by my avatar. for more details please pm me or you can ring text me on 0407 741 750 closer to the day.

regards,

wayne pearson

Getting very keen to smoke some drag washers out. I'm taking a work mate out who isn't a member of the site yet. Flying blind as I have never really hit the schools on the south side but see how it goes. I think it will look great with 20-30 boats loaded with AFO shirts smashing the tuna. Should be a great day,

Does anyone know whether the tuna are on the bite from early morning/sunrise or whether they generally turn on a little later in the day? Just trying to formulate a plan for Sunday as if they aren't likely to be on the chew til later I'll try for some snapper around Peel first.

Does anyone know whether the tuna are on the bite from early morning/sunrise or whether they generally turn on a little later in the day? Just trying to formulate a plan for Sunday as if they aren't likely to be on the chew til later I'll try for some snapper around Peel first.

When i have chased them it has been a little later in the morning. Generally I chase some snaps and watch for birds. you can spend a lot of time running around trying to find them.

Okay guys not long now till the Tuna social is on, to be honest the weather is not looking great but will doable and also the Tuna have been pretty quite the last week but with enough boats looking someone will find some.

Also I hadn't finished the entry fee and prize section so it will run as a purely optional part of the social so there's no fee to fish but if you do want to on the day you can chip in $10 and the money being split 50% for first, 30% for second and 20% for third.

One last thing even if you're not fishing the event we will be at the Grand View pub at Cleveland at 2.00pm so feel free to come down and share a beer and see what was caught if anything.

So see you guys Sunday at the meeting spot and bring on the Tuna.

Cheers

Mark

Good luck guys, we did it hard off Bribie on the weekend, they were very scarce on top. However, the guys that won the comp( only two caught) caught them blind casting to where they previously boiled. It looks like they're just mooching around and not feeding hard. My decky hooked up just with the fly dead drifting, but he had line management issues (flyline wrapped around rod and), PING.

Hopefully the weather doesn't scare everyone out of this one, it should be right on the day, won't be a glass out but the seabreeze forecast usually over predicts, the wind against the tide betwwen 8 and 2 will make it appear worse than it is. With a southerly most of the good grounds for chasing the longtail will have some form of protection. Sight casting for the fish will be a bit harder but just as many fish get caught just blind casting in the general area. The weather might put off a few of the hoons that just drive straight up on the schools shutting them down.

Andrew

Hopefully the weather doesn't scare everyone out of this one, it should be right on the day, won't be a glass out but the seabreeze forecast usually over predicts, the wind against the tide betwwen 8 and 2 will make it appear worse than it is. With a southerly most of the good grounds for chasing the longtail will have some form of protection. Sight casting for the fish will be a bit harder but just as many fish get caught just blind casting in the general area. The weather might put off a few of the hoons that just drive straight up on the schools shutting them down.

Andrew

Good point in there Andrew!

If you know tuna are in the area and aren't busting up - it doesn't hurt to throw a plastic in the region you last saw them (or ahead of where you think they are moving to) It also doesn't hurt to let a plastic drop down to the bottom and then crank - particularly if you think they are stil there, but just down deep!

Jeremy and I got a couple of mac Tuna (his was probably chasing mine for a feed) with this technique of cranking plastics up from the bottom!

Once i've driven upwind of a school and start the drift i like to flick out a pilchard bait with the drag firm enough to set the hooks and rod placed in the rod holder before putting some casts with the slugs on a second rod this helps to attrack the school with the smell of good bait you can throw a bit of burley in to at each new spot also

hi everyone just looked at the weather report for Sunday it seems to be getting worse :evil: . What are peoples knowledge with this kind of forecast for the bay.

Sunday 5/27

Morning

Breezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small short period wind waves.

Seas: E 1.4 meters at 8 sec.

Winds: SSE 15 to 20 knots

Afternoon

Windy conditions with choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Small short period wind waves.

Seas: E 1.5 meters at 8 sec.

Winds: SSE 16 to 22 knots

as i am coming from Ipswich don't like to show up and launch into a washing machine.

There will be a bit of chop but we are all launching from cleveland which is the middle part of the bay and you can use the islands for protection so a bit choppy till you reach the northern end of peel island where you can find a bit of flat water where tuna do like to hunt around. Its not the ideal day if your not prepared to cop a bit of chop in places and it might just turn out to be a day for beers on the beach

Windguru for Brisbane is saying about 10 knots, gusting 15.

Same site for Tangalooma, Cape Moreton and Inner Beacon is suggesting 14 knots gusting 16/17...

Hopefully it comes down a bit, otherwise it may prove difficult to find the tuna...

But if we do :woohoo:

which weather site do you guys rely on apart from looking out the window :huh:

willy weather?

seabreeze?

windguru?

buoyweather?

by willyweather details its going to be a nice day :woohoo: ssw @ 9knotts in morning and s 7knotts in the afternoon.

cheers.

which weather site do you guys rely on apart from looking out the window :huh:

willy weather?

seabreeze?

windguru?

buoyweather?

by willyweather details its going to be a nice day :woohoo: ssw @ 9knotts in morning and s 7knotts in the afternoon.

cheers.

Any or all the above sites and judging from the forcast its actually looking pretty good.

Cheers

Mark

Okay guys not long now till the Tuna social is on, to be honest the weather is not looking great but will doable and also the Tuna have been pretty quite the last week but with enough boats looking someone will find some.

One last thing even if you're not fishing the event we will be at the at Cleveland at 2.00pm so feel free to come down and share a beer and see what was caught if anything.

So see you guys Sunday at the meeting spot and bring on the Tuna.

Cheers

Mark

as long as its not raining,(i don't like rain , i have to stand about in it at work some days and it sucks ).

my bro is keen to go fishing and i think i am free Sunday ,nothing serious .head to peel since its seam a few other boats are heading that way,(safety in numbers never taken this boat that far ) soak some bait ,maybe flick some slugs if something turns up .gives me saterday to check/prep the boat ,haven't used it since easter .

if not will try to make it to the Grand View pub at 2 ,i like to socialize .

dont care what its like i'm going fishing. north side of peel will be fine

feeling the same jeff ,have only had one day fishing since easter .am keen to get out and have a fish ,as long as it's not raining ,wet from spray i can handle .u dry ,wet from rain is annoying .

Dom, I'll leave tonight and camp in the 4x4 at Shore Street,Cleveland see you there looking forward to meeting some of the other blokes too. I suppose I need to get another rod together rather than my snapper rod have to do some reading see what I need .

Went out for a sneeky little fish offshore today and pasted some tuna busting up and coming right out the water just past peel island

Saw your car the ramp mark

What time you come back in. I was around spb in arvo.

Theres tuna there lol we got a few today.

All i can say they are fussy.

There was a mixture of them.

Got a whole heap of bonito.

See you guys on the water tomorrow.

Dom, I'll leave tonight and camp in the 4x4 at Shore Street,Cleveland see you there looking forward to meeting some of the other blokes too. I suppose I need to get another rod together rather than my snapper rod have to do some reading see what I need .

if by any chance your reading this now, ive got a spare room right here, i live on the same street as the meeting spot!

0449876283, u might get cold in the fourbie lol

callum

Archived