AFO Moreton Bay Tuna Social 27th May 2012

PlasticFantastic

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well what a fantastic day this social turned out to be.

The weather was great,the sea was great and and AFO members again were the best bunch of people you could ever wish to go fishing with.

I will leave the fishing report up to who ever does the official results and report.

Thanks heaps Ted for another fantastic day out and also Jarryd,it was just a pleasure to fish with you mate (finally).

Lance

(WARNING - LONG READ AND NO PHOTOS YET ......). Awesome day with good weather and a good chance to catch up with a few AFO members I'd met already and also a chance to put some faces to many other names.

Started off quite comically - left Shore St East after check-in and missed the turn to the ramp so turned around at the Lighthouse and waited in line. Then with the changed routine of preparing the boat (turn car off, hop out, do a couple of things, then hop back in car and drive 20m, hop out, continue) I realised I hadn't put my bungs in when I was half way down the ramp (luckily!!). Then motor wouldn't start (coincidentally the last time my deckie Charles came fishing with me the pull chord snapped and I stuffed the springs trying to re-wind it on so it was looking like two trips in a row with him were not going to see us start the motor!!!!!). Quick clean of the spark plugs and thankfully was in action.

Start heading out of Raby Bay and realise I hadn't had a closer look at my Beacon to Beacon (B2B)to work out where we had to go (Peel - first time going there) and due to our stuffing around with the motor there were no other boats to follow. See a 'close' island due east of the mainland and a larger looking island to the north-west and much further away. "Charles, did you look in the B2B?". "Yeah, we're right, head for that big one". 4-5mins later I make a light-hearted comment that it wasn't starting to appear any larger/closer (from memory Peel was about 3km away ......). Thankfully decide to take a look at B2B myself - thank god!!!! Yep, that's Peel JUST THERE to our right!!!! In hindsight the only other times I've fished Southern Bay has been when fishing around Coochie which explains (sort of) why I had it in my head it was so far off shore and to the north ................

Get to the north-west corner and a few other AFO boats are flicking around, a couple of birds are working here and there and every now and then tuna are surfacing - mostly in close to the shallows of the island but also further out from us. I remember Tugger's advice about chucking an unweighted pillie out so do that and then set about flicking a 10g Halco metal lure. Without waffling on much more - pillie takes off (30lb mono on a Penn 330GTi - thankfully!!!!) and tuna goes on a good solid run under pretty decent drag. Start the fight, seems quite high in the water, get my mate Charles to slowly drive towards it as was holding in the same place for a bit, then it starts darting to the right and I have to wind pretty quickly to maintain a tight line. See colour a good 40m away and it's one nice big shiny white-ish sight - you little beauty!!!! Couple more runs and we are at the business end of the fight so my mind turns to my mate Charles ability on the gaff (WAS contemplating handing him the rod but decided not to). Tossed up trying the net - thought better of that. Told him to check if I had gloves (which I normally do) in the side pocket in case he could tail grab it. Anyway, after carefully instructions on how to gaff it Charles does me proud and together we haul it aboard. Can't remember who was watching on (sorry mate - please remind me) but he copped a fair earful of my celebrations!!!! VERY HAPPY CHAPPY!!!!!

Go to get a rough measurement and realise that 'BIG' sticker on the side of my boat (that I never have to use because all of my fish normally sit nicely on top of my esky that has an inbuilt ruler on it) is only 75cm long so I estimate it around 110cm tip to tip. Realise it won't fit in my little esky (actually deliberated this conundrum the previous evening but figured I was getting a bit ahead of myself ....) so saw Ted (CrazyWalrus) 50-100m away so figure he will have a big esky and won't mind looking after it for me (thanks Ted!!!!). Do the drop off and as we are puttering away, joke to Charles that we should have got some photographic evidence of handing it over - just in case .........

Charles hooks onto one not too long after - also on a pillie. I look at his reel and his yellow 30lb braid is disappearing quickly. "You didnt' put that mono backing underneath like a told you to on Origin night did you?". "Nope". Alright, prolong it as long as you can, I'll start the motor and we'll get some line back". As I go to pull the chord - pop!!!! Not happy Jan!!! Funnily enough (sort of!!) he has his mono reel in his bag and we put it on afterwards - the one that got away (and would have secured a quinella for our boat as it turns out!!).

Fish the same area drifting and anchoring til about 10:30am, then go to the NE corner. Lots of tuna surfacing and LOTS of boats chasing them. Anchor up and throw some burley and just hope they come our way. No luck.

So back to the ramp in very good time, back to Shore St East and up to the pub for a feed, beer and a chat with the boys and meet and greet.

Was a great day. Thanks Mark for organising. Told Lance I'll put some of the winnings into some raffle tix (Reeltackle).

See everyone (except Ted unfortunately - will have to find someone else to look after my big snapper next weekend .......) at the Snapper Social. Thanks again Ted for holding it for me and also dropping it off on your way home - a truly champion bloke mate.

Will put some pics up tomorrow night when I have my missus to help me re-size them (should learn to do this myself!!).

Cheers, Kelvin.

You guys did real well Kelvin and it was great to see probably the smallest boat there take out first prize.

I seen you guys at the ramp working on the motor and I didn't realize at the time you were with the social group otherwise I would have come over and helped sort the motor out for you.

I do apologize for that.

You definitely deserved it after all the earlier dramas,lol

Cheers Lance and no worries - it happened to me when I went out on the Easter school holidays. I'm not real great mechanically/electrically so that time I called one of my (two) electrician brothers who suggested it was probably the spark plug and he was right. Was getting a bit worried this morning when it still wouldn't start after I gave the sparkies a quick clean so yeah, very relieved when it started as my mate had come to my place the night before (from Oxley) to stay overnight so would have been a sad early end to the trip if it wouldn't start.

Is there anything I can do to stop this from occurring? I did mention to Charles that perhaps I should just chuck the bunny ears on it and run it at home every fortnight or so (although in saying that it's only been about 4 weeks since I used it?).

It just depends on what is causing the plugs to oil up.

A lot of the time it's from accidently mixing too much oil into the fuel or doing a lot of trolling/idling around at lower end revs.

Could be old plugs that need changing.

Some brands of oil can also cause fouling of the plugs so a brand change in oil could possibly be a solution.

Some motors can also handle a hotter plug which will help keep the plugs cleaner but you would need to chat to a proper mechanic for advice and plug numbers to suit.

Then there could be mechanical issues causing it like lower compression on a pot or across all pots.

New plugs and new fuel is your best place to start and then work through the other options if you still have the issue.

Could be just a good service is needed as well.

Hi, It was nice to get a day off and meet a few of you guys at the tuna social. Brought my mate Steve (Bullet) and my 3yo son Jett along in hope of catching a longtail but we had no luck! We did manage to hook a few bonito and mackerel which i let Jett wind in (made his day!)

Hope to make it to a few more socials.

Here's a couple of pics

Cheers

Jonno

post-1169-144598804679_thumb.jpg

post-1169-144598804686_thumb.jpg

Dom, I'll leave tonight and camp in the 4x4 at Shore Street,Cleveland see you there looking forward to meeting some of the other blokes too. I suppose I need to get another rod together rather than my snapper rod have to do some reading see what I need .

if by any chance your reading this now, ive got a spare room right here, i live on the same street as the meeting spot!

0449876283, u might get cold in the fourbie lol

callum

Thanks for the call Callum I didnt see the message on the site and the sms Dom gave me a bed for the night Thanks for your kind offer

Dave

Archived