how far do u go out in tinnie

bennyl

I use to go to Moreton in my 4.35m tinni with 40 on it. I always took an extra tank of fuel and picked the days carefuly, As has been said before it is a long rough wet trip home. Always found if you travel at the very top of the tide or the very bottom when there is little to no current running it makes it a lot better trip. I still try to do it in my glass boat I have seen it get rough in spots on days that are glassed out when the current is ripping.

Go for it,its fun. Monday looks good just plan ya trip well and be safe

The thing that is going to stuff you in the bay is wind against tide. Generally the tide runs in from north to south, therefore If you had a southerly wind blowing 10 knots it would be ok on the outgoing tide, but would get uncomfortable when it turns and the tide is running against the wind. Just keep that in mind when picking ur day, take more fuel than u think u need and it will be sweet.

I always leave from the brisy river so if it blows up i can follow a ship or the MI cat back across the bay the MI cat ferry has regular runs back from tangalooma leaving always at 1pm to head back to brisy. Following a ship or this ferry gives you alot better ride in rough conditions just get in its wake 2 to 3 power waves back from its stern and you will be surprised how much diference there is. For the MI cat timetable just log onto there website its a great way to get to moreton island and back

wind and tides is what it all comes down to example i would not go over in 15-20knts unless you are going with the wind and the tide in the same direction. some ideas run in tide north -north east wind ok, run out south south west wind. best days 5-10 variable and 10-15 variable

I always leave from the brisy river so if it blows up i can follow a ship or the MI cat back across the bay the MI cat ferry has regular runs back from tangalooma leaving always at 1pm to head back to brisy. Following a ship or this ferry gives you alot better ride in rough conditions just get in its wake 2 to 3 power waves back from its stern and you will be surprised how much diference there is. For the MI cat timetable just log onto there website its a great way to get to moreton island and back

It's surprising how many boats actually do this.

Last time on my way back from Moreton, there were about 2 or 3 jetskis and 2 boats doing this :lol:

I think after a while they must have got bored and decided to scoot on up ahead of the Mi-Cat... They went from going nice and smoothly to spraying water wildly and catching a fair bit of air... looked like one bumpy road :woohoo:

I have no idea how fast the Micat goes to be honest (and barely head out into the bay so don't really know distances too well) - I assume its more than enough to get the boat up on the plane?

Archived