Ciguatera. Is it a problem GoldCoast Brisnane??

kitacooch

Hi there, bout to start doing some fishing outside and heard about ciguatera existing but never hear much, just wondering if it a something I need to worry/concern about? Or is it something that comes and goes and is talked about when it occurs??

Any feed back predicated cheers

Its not just Chinamen and Red Bass although they are most likely, any large reef dwelling species like coral trout and cod can have Ciguatera. Large Queenfish and trevally can also have it.

It is more likely in tropical coral reef areas and some places are more prevelent to it than others. In hervey bay Platapus bay is a high risk area. Generally down here is a low risk but still a very real possibility.

Thanks guys, yeah what all you guys said is what i heard, the coral trout, queens, trevs, and mac's is what i am wanting to target among others... So are you guys eating under a certain size?? I mean coral trout are supposed to be top eating yeah. I heard of cases as south as around moreton island so is a bit worrying. Last thing i want to do is poison myself but even worse would be to poison my family.

Coral trout are excellent eating but I wouldnt keep one over 8kg up north or 10kg down here, fish that size are also unlikley. Cod are good eating as well but I wouldnt keep one over 20kg. The larger older speciemens are more likely to have toxin build up.

Queenfish are good eating fresh and unlikely to have it but I wouldnt keep a meter plus fish, Mackerel are generally safe but I wouldnt keep a 25kg plus specimen. A friend of mine got mild ciguatera from a 15 kg Mackerel at Cooktown, bit of a lucky dip really. He couldnt eat reef fish for a year after contracting it and had to give away all the fish he had caught and frozen to bring back to Brisbane. I know people who have eaten Mackerel over 30kg up north and have been fine, there's no real way of telling.

A a 15kg cattle dog cod gave many people ciguatera in mareeba, the guy kept it when I was a decky on the Blue Whaler after the captain Graham advised him to let it go for the very reason of ciguatera poisioning but he insisted that they were safe. Graham got a phone call about a week later from the bloke and he had given heaps of fish away and almost everybody who ate it got mild to bad ciguatera.

It is far less common in south Qld but still a possibilty. Just about everything your likely catch should be OK. Red Bass and Chinamaen are the most likely to have it. Although I know people who have eaten both of them as well and have no contracted Ciguatera.

People who contract it several times can not eat reef fish ever again.

Better to be safe than sorry, just let the big XOS fish go ;)

First and fore-most I don't believe Ciguatera is a problem down here in Brisbane, I recently attended the Hervey Bay fishing comp for my first time and (like you) was unaware of Ciguatera and how bad it was so as a result I asked every fisho and every tackle shop I went to for weeks about the disease and I also did a bit of research on the Net.. The result was... don't keep the larger species of the most common carriers as pointed out by earlier posts, Spanish Mackerel are a "no take" inside Fraser and Coral Trout are well known carriers too. Chinamen are a given (only take them in W.A. where Ciguatera is almost un-heard of). Those species are regularly kept when just on or over legal size but an educated fisho will generally leave the bigger ones as previously mentioned. An employee at Jonsey's Tackle Chermside said he does 90% of his fishing at Hervey Bay and hasn't had a problem when not keeping the larger species, he also said the disease affects the Spanish Mackerel far more than all other Mackerel so he keeps the Spotties he wants and so on. Ciguatera is a disease that "builds up" in the fish that feed on the smaller fish that consume the disease directly from a reef algae found in a warmer/tropical climate which basically ends at the bottom of the great barrier reef off the top of Fraser Is, the older the fish the more it's going to carry. My thoughts are if I caught a big Spanish off Moreton late in the Summer I'd think twice about keeping it but if I caught a big Coral Trout off Moreton I'd throw caution to the wind and ring everyone in the phone book starting a Mr & Mrs Aardvark!! I hope this has been useful. Peter.

This thread has taught me alot! Id never heard of this at all :S But i have learnt alot from here, and from the research that it has prompted me to do. Id also like to note that in QLD its not only not recommended but illegal to take Red Bass or Chinamen for this exact reason, i had no idea of this!

Archived