Deep Water Bend 6/5/12. Great night!

Aggro101

Hi All

I took my son and Brother In Law out to deep water bend last night mainly to get some prawns for lunch today. Casting on to the boat ramp, we got about 2kg in half an hour and heaps of herring and mullet for live bait.

Hopped in the boat and noticed my brother in law (Scott) had brought his 5yo daughters little pink and purple rod as a spare, so after much ribbing and comments like "Does you husband fish too?" and "Does your mummy know you are out this late?" we decided to start fishing.

Tried the hole near the highway bridge first until just before hight tide for some small bream and some monster catfish on a mix of live prawn and live herring. Nothing to be kept from there.

Next spot was towards the mouth from the boat ramp about 500m or so (just past the bend near the end of the boardwalk). Anchored next to the drop off and fairly quickly, all the rods were bending. 2 bream (28cm and 32cm) and a Jew (75cm)! I had to swallow my words, because the Jew was caught on the bloody pink and purple rod!!!

We had a few big hits on live herring (nothing on live mullet), but none took the hook. The rest of the fish were caught on live prawn. 10 whiting between 28 and 35cm and a handful of undersized bream.

We fishing through until low tide and came home for a few hours sleep. Woke again at 7am so Jake could take my boat out for his first trip on his own to Scarby Reef with a couple of friends today.

The last photo is him heading out with my boat (it is a strange feeling not to be on it). My little boy is growing up.

The Pink 'n' Purple!

post-3592-144598791835_thumb.jpg

Jew on Live prawn and that damn little rod!

post-3592-144598791842_thumb.jpg

My son Jake waiting patiently for the fish

post-3592-144598791853_thumb.jpg

Jake heading out in my boat for his first trip with out me.

post-3592-144598791863_thumb.jpg

Great report and great fun mate!

My wife had one of those pink and purple rods AND bought the pink tacklebox as an "accessory" :lol: She caught fish with it though and succeeded in making me feel silly when I had to dig into her tacklebox for something that I had forgotten to put into mine :blush:

Great report and great fun mate!

My wife had one of those pink and purple rods AND bought the pink tacklebox as an "accessory" :lol: She caught fish with it though and succeeded in making me feel silly when I had to dig into her tacklebox for something that I had forgotten to put into mine :blush:

Forgot to pack his lip gloss

Lip gloss, LMAO....

I got the boat back virtually in one piece. I say virtually, because when I went to pick them up in the afternoon, Jake said "Umm Dad...we need a new anchor"

The D-shackle came undone at some stage and they lost the anchor and chain. Not to worry, I wanted a new one anyway. Next time I'll wire the shackle on.

They didn't have any fish to report and Jake was knackered after being up until 4am fishing with me the night before, then up at 7am to fish all day with a couple of mates.

Great Report mate, you're a brave man letting your son take your boat, well done... :unsure: :unsure:

He got his boat licence in January as soon as he turned 16. He has been driving it at somerset quite a bit so I can have a ski and wakeboard and probably half the time when we go fishing. He is very cautious, and more mature than many adults on the water, so there was no real concern on my part. You gotta trust your kids and let them grow up at some point hey.

Having said that, when it comes time to teach him to drive, it will be in the wifes car, not mine, LOL.

Archived