Deckie spot available on Fri 11th heading to Barwon Banks

dhess

With the current run of light winds and the swell dropping am planning on heading out to the Barwon Banks. So far have Daveylad on board and have room for one more easy going person.

If the weather is less than perfect will fish the Tempest area as a back up plan.

Share costs which will work out somewhere around $70 each including fuel, bait, ice etc.

The plan is something like this:

Fish the 30-50m reefs at dawn.

Fish the 80-90m, and a wreck in 110m (if current is light enough) line during the morning.

Troll over a few pinnacles and try to get a late season wahoo.

You will need to bring one heavy-ish outfit with at least a few hundred metres of braid. (If you don't have one I should be able to dig something up for you.)

Departure around 2am from Alderley.

sorry shano ive had to report this to ellicat and do stylz. It appears that you have created some sort of 'deckie spot' application on ur phone so as to never miss out.

Any topic with the word 'deckie' in it and the app sends an automated response such as 'PM sent' then once u have time to sit down and look at them u can pick and choose which ones you want and dont want.

not on mate......its just not on! you are cheating the whole afo community :angry:

weather looks awesome, you boys will have a ball. look forward to the report ;)

Haha i just refreshed page n i saw it. Havnt got reply back yet but hopefully get it. I never fished that side.

I was planning to go boat rock Friday but didnt have anyone to go with. Might go Saturday with Jeremey.

You going out this weekend?

Shane

Sorry Shane. Too slow. You snooze you loose.

Jokes. Welcome aboard mate.

Cheers for the spot mate. Looking foward to it. So keen to get onto some good fish.

Havnt turned a reel properly in so long.

Il see you friday morning.

Zano the rock it is. Il meet you guys saturday morning at amity.

Hopefully weather stays good.

Shane

more4 than likly hear you out there dom if you end up around the tempest area ch94.iam gunna go out to the AHS Centaur in 130 mtr nth of tempest

Good Luck Dom - The weather at the moment is looking amazing. Looking forward to the report. What time are you going to leave.

Hey Mick what do you get at the centaur?

Will catch you on the radio Mick.

We will probably leave my place about 2am Ted.

I am guessing the Centaur would have some XOS pearlies hanging around it with the odd bar cod. Would love to give it a crack conditions and current allowing.

its not the wreck itself but with in the general area around it is close to 200mtrs and there are heaps of long ridges to drift over that come up to 145mtr mark.its just like tempest only has more ridges and is in deeper water.its about 15 km east from flinders. to answer the question majority of fish are reefies taken from the peaks of the ridges.

its not the wreck itself but with in the general area around it is close to 200mtrs and there are heaps of long ridges to drift over that come up to 145mtr mark.its just like tempest only has more ridges and is in deeper water.its about 15 km east from flinders. to answer the question majority of fish are reefies taken from the peaks of the ridges.

So pearlies and snaps or something more exotic. What kind of sinker weights are required. Will 16oz or 24oz suffice on a low current day or do you need stupid weights?

For the Barwon Banks we head out of Mooloolaba and it is anywhere from about 40-50km out depending where you fish. Lot of open water to cover unless you have a boat that rides well in chop. Need to get myself a big cat one of these days.

Deep Tempest is about 50km+ from spinnaker. The area Mick is referring to is about the same but east of the cape not SE.

I would almost have been tempted but have an industry dinner (and obligatory drinks) Thursday evening... I can make the 2am start but in saying that it might possibly just be waving from the taxi on my way home.

Will keep an eye out on finally meeting some more guys in AFO, was good to get a deckie spot with BlairV 2 months back but this time wanted to get some pointers fishing the north side of Moreton as Dad's boat lives at Bribie.

Maybe next time... and will 250m of 50lb braid be enough or should I upgrade?

The centaur is in 2000+m about 45km east of the southern end of Moreton.

Mick, wreck you are probably referring to is what was formerly thought to be the centaur.

wat?you serious the spots been called that for generations so wat do we call it now??? :blink:

on a no current day 8s / 10s hit the deck. pends on what lb line and diameter your using 30lb braid will get down the 150 noworries using a 8 wieght. wes fish uses 10'lb in the 100mtrs and beats me to the bottom every time.

They reckon they can't identify it.

Just found this:

/>http://bayjournal.com.au/joomla/bayjournal/history/2038-another-search-is-on.html

/>http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2009/12/20/centaur-wreck-located-2000m-down/

8's and 10's are pretty light. I usually use 16's in 80-100. :blink:

ANy bar cod, hapukka and trevalla around there or still too shallow?

cheers dom its a good read. ;)

20 gram lucanus jigs get down 100mtr alright as well.

na havnt pulled a bluey from there iam begining to think it is the wrong sort of bottomand time fishing for them there is waisted.the flat baron ground is what ive got em off.iam still learning havnt cracked it yet

Too shallow for Hapuka and Blue Eye Dhess

Bar Cod will venture in as far as 35 fm but rarely will the others even come into even 100 fm.

General rule is Bar Cod inside 100 fm, Hapuka,Bass Groper and small Blue Eye in 150 to 200fm and the bigger breeding size Blue Eye mostly in 250 to 350 fm

cheers dom its a good read. ;)

20 gram lucanus jigs get down 100mtr alright as well.

na havnt pulled a bluey from there iam begining to think it is the wrong sort of bottomand time fishing for them there is waisted.the flat baron ground is what ive got em off.iam still learning havnt cracked it yet

mate have you given those jigs ago that i gave you they might do allright the bigger ones.

Archived