Snapper Social 3rd of june

tugger

Will meet and greet everyone at the cleveland ramp beside vmr between 0430 and 0500 to confirm attendees before we set off chasing the big red devils. If anyone can offer up deckie spots it would be much appreciated, i have 2 new deckies who have not been out with me before so welcome aboard Neal and Jarroyd.

We will rap it up at 1pm and i will see you back at the ramp by then if anyone has troubles with getting there that early message me before the event or just ring me after 0430 on the day. There is an event page for this in the Punters group page and you can join the event there so we get an idea how many will come.

If you need a deckie spot apply here or in the event page and hopefully we can get you a seat on a boat heading out into the bay or offshore. Good luck to all who attend and remember you shouldn't outfish your skipper B)

Tips for chasing snapper

If your after snapper in shallow water fish as light as possible the sinker should only be big enough to get it near the bottom slowly i've got most of my big snapper after spooling out 200m of line or more while i'm fishing in 25 to 30m of water. I like to use a overhead reel for this so its spools out smoothly and i can engage the reel with the flick of the gear lever when the snapper strike.

Circle hooks are good for this type of fishing and my prefered size is a 6/0 in a gamagatsu 0ctopus circle and as most of you that know me i only use monofiliment line around 30lb offshore and 15lb in the bay. I use the mono straight through to the sinker and hook with no trace and some guys use a bit of fluro tube or fluro beads just before the hook.

Pilchards are my first bait i like to use but live yakkas and slimie mackerel are dynamite on big snapper another great bait is cuttlefish which is a good bait to anchor to the bottom with a big sinker on a second rod to set and leave in the rod holder. I thread the pilchards from the tail puling the hook through the pilchard twice and eventually bringing the hook point and barb out of the top of the head then tying a half hitch around the tail to keep the bait straight.What ever bait you use always expose plenty of the hooks point past the barb so you get a good hook.

Anchoring or drifting you vessel over the reef you are targetting is next if anchoring i'll set a rod on the bottom with cuttlefish as bait so it lasts and floatline with a secdond rod which envolves constantly spooling out my bait so its getting near the bottom but never reaching it. I'll change sinkers many times through the day to acheive this with the changes of current or tide and always keep the bait moving i find the big snapper like a moving bait it gets them into a more agressive feeding pattern if you don't get a hit after a few hundred meters wind in check your bait and start again.

Drifting you still want to fish as light as possible in the shallows but this is also done in deep water when you can't anchor and adjust your weight accordingly so your near the bottom with your baits while drifting over the reef. Always set your drag where you want to fight the fish on which should be fairly tight as reef fish will want to take you back into the reef and you'll get alot of bust offs.

Fishing with plastics is not my strenght so if anyone wants to add to this go right ahead but as afr as i'm concerned this will not find the amount of fish that good bait will.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

caught snapps at cleveland but does anyone know of any spots off wello point? will be fishing out of yak (scrambler xt) and havn't fished the point before always thought to shallow but reading the reports theres been some good snapps out there. any advice would be helpful. thinking of fishing it for the social anyone intersted in joining me?

Im in this for sure.

Got my mate as a deckie but if he bails i will have spot.

If weathers good will be trying offshore if not river and bay.

Shane thought I read that offshore is out of bounds???im hitting the bay but the 6am launch is a little late for my liking

Im in this for sure.

Got my mate as a deckie but if he bails i will have spot.

If weathers good will be trying offshore if not river and bay.

Shane thought I read that offshore is out of bounds???im hitting the bay but the 6am launch is a little late for my liking

Thats for the tuna comp lol.

This one anywhere im pretty sure.

I picked this date for the moon phase just before the full moon for the fishing and the tide just before high water for the bar crossing in the morning to make it the safest option for those heading offshore as well as i work the last sunday of june making this weekend the best option in opinion.

Hope this doesn't inconvience to many people as i hoping for a good turn out with new deckies getting a run offshore or in the bay possibly for the first time and a chance to catch that snapper they can talk about for a long time.

Isn't the socials meant to last Sunday of the month?

Brad this is the 1 for the month of june that will count towards the trophies at the end of the year then each month after that there will be a diferent species already picked for this same socials run by the Punters Group.

Other than this there will be the plenty of guys getting together for a run offshore through out winter and i'm hoping to plan a weekend over at horseshoe bay on peel island with the Wanderers Group that anyone can attend with plans to chase some more snaps

At this stage i'm 75% certain i'm doing the snapper social, I will have a deckie spot for this one if attending.

I will most likely be staying inside the bay unless i get an experienced deckie that may be keen to cross the bar if the weather is good.

I have 435 wildcat with a 75 etec

Cheers

I picked this date for the moon phase just before the full moon for the fishing and the tide just before high water for the bar crossing in the morning to make it the safest option for those heading offshore as well as i work the last sunday of june making this weekend the best option in opinion.

Hope this doesn't inconvience to many people as i hoping for a good turn out with new deckies getting a run offshore or in the bay possibly for the first time and a chance to catch that snapper they can talk about for a long time.

Isn't the socials meant to last Sunday of the month?

Oh nah all good tugger, just wasn't sure

I'm not exp manni but I'm happy to go around in thr bay with you?

The organisers can change dates or days at their discretion but this one has been set and best off to keep this date if you noticed we have a finish time at the ramp of 1pm so those that can not hang around can get home and clean up early Brad. Be good if you could still squeez it in

i find it hard to do sundays off shore so iam out ,have a good one guys,are all of the socials going to be held on a sunday?.brad

I should be right for this one Mark. Missus has a Bridal Shower at 2pm so would just have to skip the after-gathering unfortunately. May have one decky spot available in my 14ft 30hp tinny - will advise closer. Not sure where I'd go yet - prob somewhere around Peel if the weather is good.

Stay longer the women will not want you around anyway trust me :woohoo:

I should be right for this one Mark. Missus has a Bridal Shower at 2pm so would just have to skip the after-gathering unfortunately. May have one decky spot available in my 14ft 30hp tinny - will advise closer. Not sure where I'd go yet - prob somewhere around Peel if the weather is good.

I'm out for the whole school holidays with work the first week and a trip up to hervey bay booked on the second week sorry mate

Hey mark it would be sweet if that peel trip was on the first or second weekend of the school hols as kid sport has trashed my Sundays for the winter

Cheers

AB

I'd be really keen for this, but I don't think I'll be able to make it unless I can find a deckie spot and somebody from the North side (I live in Bracken Ridge) would be willing to pick me up.

The bike has been sold and Erin needs the Jeep that day (I'm also way too smart to try waking her up that early in the morning :lol: ).

Hey gary_c,If I'm not workin I can Pick you up I live at Mango Hill..

That would be great mate. Just let me know. Even if I can't find a deckie spot, I'll do some land based fishing for the day and catch up with everybody as they get back to the ramp.

Let me know once you have an idea about your work schedule.

Archived