Report Deepwater Bend and an Abusive Wife 15-5-12

Gary_C

Started the day with everybody’s favourite anger inducing, blood pressure raising, psychotic episode triggering, past-time: speaking to Vodafone.

On the way home, the missus says, “We need to go buy you a brag mat.â€

At this point, I realize she is just taunting me and trying to drive me into an early grave because she KNOWS that I never catch anything worth bragging about and that most of the fish that I do catch don’t show up in photos because they are so small (note to self, check to see if any life insurance policies have been taken out on me recently). However, I am not going to turn down a trip to the tackle shop so I let her convince me that I might someday need a brag mat….

At the tackle shop, the strangest thing happened. Lures just seemed to fall off of the racks and land in my hands :whistle: . I also decided to pick up a set of lip grips because I “plan†on catching some flathead.

We returned home and changed, then headed off to DWB. We picked a spot and I rigged up one of the rods with a sinker, swivel, about 40 cm of leader, and a pilchard then chucked it out while I tried to get the other two rods sorted.

As I am rummaging around through the tackle trays and trying to find the “pretty†lure that Erin wants to use, she says to me, “Honeyâ€

“What?â€

“Look!â€

“At What?â€

“That!â€

At this point, I see that the rod with the pilchard is straining and that the rod holder itself has actually been pulled so hard it is tilted towards the water. So, I charge to the rod and get it in my hands to feel some real weight on it. I fought it for a couple of minutes, then felt 2 big head shakes and snap that’s all she wrote…

We then moved over to the fishing pontoon .

I put a prawn onto the hook, cast it out, loosened the drag, and set it down so I could get the other rods set up. Erin, of course, does not like the idea of my rod sitting in a position that it could potentially be pulled into the water and lost (maybe by a passing boat, but no fish was going to do it…). I decided to go ahead and acquiesce and let her just hold onto the rod while I untangled the others.

I then hear “WHOA!!†and look over at her to see my 4-8 lb Loomis rod with a respectable bend in it and line pealing off of my (admittedly) loosened drag.

Now, instead of doing what any wife who loves their husband would do and GIVING ME BACK MY FISHING ROD!!!!! she decides that she has to land the fish on her own. Now, due to the fact that I OBVIOUSLY love my wife more than she loves me, I offered her encouragement. For example:

“Honey, that sound that the reel is making when you keep turning the handle? That means you are not gaining any line and are just abusing my reel.â€

“Honey, if you want to land the fish, you have to tighten the drag. What do you mean you don’t know how to tighten the drag? I have shown you how to tighten the drag before… just give me the rod and I’ll tighten the drag…â€

“Honey, if you land this fish, you are going to have to take out the hook you know…â€

I am sure it was because of all of my loving encouragement (and the fact that she just had to show me that she hates me) Erin landed this fella going 28 to the fork:

post-9342-144598796827_thumb.jpg

post-9342-144598796844_thumb.jpg

Because I knew that she must be exhausted after landing such a respectable bream, I took my rod back and allowed her to decide if she wanted to sort out any of the others. Unfortunately, all she left me were the 10-15 cm models (of which I caught 3). She continued to taunt and belittle me every time I caught one of the little buggers and really did a number on my self esteem. ☹

A short while later, I changed from prawns to pieces of pilchard and we discussed leaving soon so she could get home and do some work. I felt a very slow take and let the rod load up then dragged in this guy at about 53 cm to an audience (the 2 older gents who had seen my wife abusing me by stealing the bream were cheering for me out of solidarity).

post-9342-144598796854_thumb.jpg

post-9342-144598796864_thumb.jpg

On the way home, my wife says, “We should buy you a new reel, what kind do you want?â€

Why is it that the abusive spouses always try to buy your forgiveness?

I take it you are optimistic re the outcome with immigration or is Aussie fishing gear better than USA>?

I have bumped another thread giving you more helpful hints on how to help Erin seeing that she is going to be the breadwinner. :blush:

Cheers

Ray

Cautiously optimistic Ray. Plus, I already paid for the crate to be built and figure I can find room in it for the fishing gear ;)

Loved the bump, it was hilarious!

Nice one

Looked for a tackle world brag mat online and saw what I thought was your picture, but the brag mat is twice the size

/>http://liveimages.quicksales.com.au/quicksales/general/classified/gc5061582306539394250.jpg?width=500&height=375&aspect=fitwithin&padcolor=ffffff

Nice one

Looked for a tackle world brag mat online and saw what I thought was your picture, but the brag mat is twice the size

/>http://liveimages.quicksales.com.au/quicksales/general/classified/gc5061582306539394250.jpg?width=500&height=375&aspect=fitwithin&padcolor=ffffff

How much did she pay you Dave? Is it supposed to look like an accident?

Now it isn't just my fish that are inadequate, it is my brag mat....

:silly: :silly: :P:P

Great flattie mate and asesome read. I wish my wife was so keen as to go fishing. Went to Bribie top end in the 4wd yesterday to do some beach fishing. Ended up fishing for 1hr then missus checked a nana at me for not having family time with our 8 month old. Or maybe it was the fact that the 8 month old would not stop crawling through the sand while i was fishing. Only managed 1 dart.

Awesome read though buddy!

Archived