Sir Chundalot no more!

kreel

So CrazyW, tBox and I decided to head out to Deep Tempest last Friday (18 April 12) for a lovely day of boating. We started early so as not to miss one moment on the water on the indomitable HMS Eggman AKA Sir Chundalot. We were speeding across the Bay at 4 am heading for Cape Moreton when we arrived, we were greeted by this beautiful scene:

post-2889-144598799502_thumb.jpg

A rainbow to greet us! We knew that the day of casually boating east of Moreton would be before us. What could otherwise have proved to be a bad day all hot and sweaty proved to be tempered by a gentle drenching that lasted most of the day. Ted and I were settling ourselves into a lazy old day, but every time we stopped it seemed that nothing could stop tBox from impaling a pilchard on a hook and sending it deep below us. She kept bringing up fish after fish, all small, Squire, Stripey, Moses Perch, Sweep, Flathead … the list goes on. Ted and I found it almost impossible to sit there enjoying the solitude while tBox was raping the seas.

Enough of this silliness, We had a drenching at Shallow Tempest and were being tossed all over the shop with some uncomfortable seas. Tacklebox was pulling in fish all day, though all but one was undersized, but the real excitement of the day was when Ted took us out to Deep Tempest (the weather continued in the same vein). tBox had just pulled in a small Moses Perch when Ted said that if you catch another just keep it deep and an AmberJack will shortly be along. A minute later and Ted had a small fish on, another minute and he was in for a mighty fight. This went on for a number of minutes with the fish pulling hard then swimming straight up. I'd like to report Ted's first Amber Jack, but unfortunately the fish won this one.

post-2889-144598799514_thumb.jpg

The weather wasn't improving so we moved just west of the Cape and tried to find some protection and a few fish. It was like fishing with a broomstick casting out small plastics on our heavy gear but it was a bit of fun.

We decided to pack up and head home since the weather gods weren't playing fair. Ted had the biggest fight, Liesbeth caught the only keeper of the day (35cm Squire) and I won the prize for the mystery fish of the day (my only catch) a Wiptail! I couldn't believe how excited Dazza got when we phoned him on the way home and I told him I caught a Whiptail … strange fella.

post-2889-144598799519_thumb.jpg

Many thank to Ted, for a great chance to catch up and to get out on the water again, first time for ages. And, unlike some light-weight moderators whose names will be omitted to spare them the embarrassment (Ellicat), we have broken their curse - no one spewed this trip. No longer will Ted's boat need to be called Sir Chundalot.

Nice. We got the rain at boat rock for an hour then saw it move up your way and just sit on top of you. Didn't seem to move at all. It was a nice looking morning til it got sloppy.

Tried calling Ted up early on but the radio was pretty quiet all day.

Yeah it was pretty horrible out there. Caught between three different squalls all day. The wind was between 15 to 20 knots at times. Very uncomfortable and wet.

Sorry I did not have the radio on yesterday. Looked a lot better down where you were. I seem to have the worst luck when I go outside the Cape. I think I will concentrate on the waters out from Point lookout for now. Although the allure of the big Amberjacks keep pulling me back to the Cape. This one pulled the hook through 130lb leader. Need to stop one soon.

It was great to get out for a fish with you guys. Pity the weather did not play the game. I now know how you feel Baden with Liesbeth always out fishing you.

It was wonder with the conditions that no one succumb to Sir Chundalot.

I think I will concentrate on the waters out from Point lookout for now. Although the allure of the big Amberjacks keep pulling me back to the Cape. This one pulled the hook through 130lb leader. Need to stop one soon.

Apparently you can get big cobes out shallow and deep tempest all year too. If My boat could handle it I would be chasing the AJ's and cobes as well.

Archived