Surf Fishing Set up

Dubbzy

Hi All,

I have the chance to start to do a bit of surf fishing in the coming 4-6 months. Starting with boys trip to moreton next weekend.

I was wondering what you guys use, ie: rods, reels. I assume most use a heavy style rod with an alvey and then a lighter rod with a 6500 spin reel. I dropped into my local tackle shop today and there was far to many options to chose

Also what kind of rigs to you use.

Cheers

Dubbzy

So many options...... it really depends on what you want to target, your budget and carrying ability.

If I could only have one outfit it would be a 13ft 4 wrap rod with a 650 alvey of whatever flavour you like, loaded with 6 kg mono. Suits from bream to dart to decent tailor on the sand. You can catch whiting but too heavy really and can catch jew but too light for better fish and you can throw metals for short periods but becomes a chore and cause twist problems.

Same species in a spinning setup, 6 to 10 kg 12 ft cheapy with a 6 to 8000 reel will do the job and be better suited spinning metals from 50 gm up.

A more targeted lighter 10 to 50gm metal tossing rod I prefer a 9ft carbon fibre job with a 4000 reel.

Chasing whiting in the surf they are close in so a light estuary outfit does the job nicely and does well with bream in the surf also. Just be aware of the extra maintainance that might be needed on the reel.

Just starting out keep it as cheap and simple as you can till you know what you want to chase. The salt and sand on the beach will find its way into places you didnt know existed.

Hi there

when I go surf fishing I usually just use 15lb mono straight through with simano tiralejo rod with a daiwa balistic reel. The rig that i always use and always have good succes with is a size 3 free running sinker although you can change it to whatever depending on the current and abbout 30cm of leader from the swivel to a size 2.0 long shanked hook although i mainly use the longshank because i use beach worms

Good luck

Archived