Interference on my HDS 5

Bri The Pom

post-662-144598803329_thumb.jpg

I have a hds 5x and a hds 5m the other day i bought a ethernet cable to link the two units so i can upgrade the software, now when the motor is running i get interference on my fishfinder and dont know why, as you can see by the photo the engine is running then i turn it off.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

Bri

To what are the sounders earthed

Use a seperate earth and not the standard buss bar that all you accessories may be earthed to

Is a terminating resistor needed on the comma cable

Reroute the cable away from other wires

What about earth directly back to the negative on the batery, not sure about the resitor as it has a plug on both ends.

I will move it from other cables and insulate it for sure.

Cheers

im running the same units also the structure scan and i had no problems i ran all the units through a common earth. Iam running 2 batterys but i dont know if that would make a difference i wouldnt think so.the only thing i cant do is wire the radio into them i cant find any info on this .does the cable run near the rev counter??? that could cause the interference

I probably have some clip on ferrite cores you can pop onto the power input lines, wrap it around a few times and see if it improves. Will remove some of the spikes induces from wiring being too close to an AC type signal.

A crude shielding that you can try on the network cable is alfoil. may see an improvement.

is the ethernet cable still connected between the two units, and if so what is the advantage of that?

as I understand, the 5x is sounder only and the 5m is chartplotter only, so I would think you would only connect the two when you need to upgrade the software on the 5x?

or am I missing something?

Im your ventures have you turned of the interfearance filter on the sounder? does it go away with the ether cable unplugged? If they dont fix your problem a earthed shield arount the ether cable might be in order or possibly try an other ether cable should only be cat 5 strand.

is the ethernet cable still connected between the two units, and if so what is the advantage of that?

as I understand, the 5x is sounder only and the 5m is chartplotter only, so I would think you would only connect the two when you need to upgrade the software on the 5x?

or am I missing something?

You are correct Marty, with the cable connected it turns the 5m chartplotter in to a combo, so this morning i had the 5m showing half charts and half sonar but in zoom, whilst the 5x was full screen sonar no zoom.

I need to try a get some info of lowrance i think,see how that goes.

If the problem persists i will just disconnect them.

Im your ventures have you turned of the interfearance filter on the sounder? does it go away with the ether cable unplugged? If they dont fix your problem a earthed shield arount the ether cable might be in order or possibly try an other ether cable should only be cat 5 strand.

I have tried the noise filter with not much difference and when i unplug from the sonar it corrects itself,unplugging the gps makes no difference.

Archived