How to stay warm when fishing allnight winter???

TheLazyboy

Hey guys, im just curious if any of you guys have and good ways to stay warm on those call winter nights as this winter im keen to do alot of all nighers fishing trip. When i did an allnigher last weekend i was wearing 4 layers of cothes and still a bit chilly and its not even winter yet.

Any ideas/ tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers lachlan

Also sorry wrong section

i've use a long sleve thermal shirt, and boardies under my trackie daks. when its really cold i chuck a pair of thermal pants on too. a decent jacket and beanie helps too.

i've also gone out with an under armour cold gear long sleave shirt on under my AFO shirt and haven't even needed a jumper. it was about 8 degrees.

I've done a fair few late night fishing expeditions (especially on the beach) in the cold and these are some of my favourite ways to stay warm:

If you are fishing somewhere where you are able to stay relatively clean/dry then plenty of layers such as t-shirts, thermals, singlets, skivvies and jumpers on the top half then shorts, thermals and trackies on the bottom half should be enough to keep you warm. Possibly the most important part to keep warm – your feet, if it suits then wear ugboots. If not running shoes would work or another of my favourite combo’s is socks and crocs – they are extremely light and flexible and you can walk across rocks etc but they are also comfy and really warm.

If you reckon you're gonna get dirty or wet then wear something that you don’t mind getting muddy and wet. Old trackies/jumpers are one option but you can also try beach waders (you will look like a clown but they do the job) or you could even wear a wetsuit under your main clothes. I also have old ski gear - jackets, ski pants etc. that are waterproof and are woolly on the inside and they have kept me toasty warm even on the coldest, windiest, wettest nights when beach fishing.

Finally you definitely need a beanie and if you can build a fire – that will keep you warm pretty much no matter what.

Those are some of the things that help me fish in comfort on those freezing winter’s nights B)

many nights on the brizzy river, and i have used thermals and ski jumpers but still felt the chill. 2 things i added to my layers was a flanelette shirt and a headsox that i wear around my neck, makes a big difference, and get a beenie like this, toasty as!!!

/>http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Berkley-Ear-Flapbeanie.aspx?pid=320810&menuFrom=570503#Description

A nice big bottle of bundy...

Second to that call down to your local disposals store and get what i know as a wooly pully. A tight woollen long sleve jumper, Toasty as, just be sure to wear a long sleave shirt underneath as they get itchy as hell. They have really long sleves, a bit longer in the body and nice high collars, an all round perfomer for me anyway

I can't help but to chuckle a little bit at this topic because I turned on the heater yesterday morning and 4 years ago I would not have thought more than a minute or two about rigging up a wind-break, augering out a hole through 8 inches of ice, and fishing for 12 hours.

I used to keep a few of these in my tacklebox or my hunting backpack:

/>http://www.cabelas.com/product/GRABBER-Warmers-Family-Value-Pack/746805.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dhand%2Bwarmer%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=hand+warmer&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Layers are the key to staying warm. You can always take off clothes while out in the field, but you can't just find more to put on.

1st layer should be a t-shirt, then a snug set of thermals or under-armor. Then, a layer or two of loose fitting clothing finished off with your coat. The layers create both a way to keep your body heat from being leached away and makes it more difficult for the cold to penetrate.

Hats, earmuffs, etc. to keep the face and head warm because your head is basically the thermometer for your body; if your head is cold the rest of your body will feel cold. You could go to the bikie shop and pick up one of those super cool neoprene masks with the clown face on it to wear too....

Can't believe anyone would need thermals in Queensland lol

Layers is key.

T-Shirt, Shirt and jacket that is wind proof - i.e. not a woollen jumper. Something lined is goodest.

Tuck the shirts into your trackies or jeans ! That stops the cool breeze getting on you. Beanie etc as most of your heat is lost through your head.

It is also easier to stay warm than get warm so layer up early.

Archived