Boonaroo Report

Zoob

Headed off on Friday about 9.30 am, 4 of us 2 cars/boats in convoy, arrived at accommodation just after 1.00 pm.

We were all very pleased with the house,especially being in such a small town.

3 bedrooms, 1 Queen bed, 1 double bed with ensuite & 2 single beds, the place had everything, even though some of the items were obviously left by previous tenants.

First night off to the bowls club for dinner, which is only open for meals on friday & Saturday nights. Meals were very good for such a small club, especially at $11.00 for main meals & $5.00 for desert.

Next morning headed off at gentleman's hours at 8.00 am, 10 minutes to boat ramp & headed off, dropped the pots & headed of to a small group of islands, fished to about 2.30 for 1 25 cm whiting & headed home, checking pots on the way for only a few undersized crabs, put them back, got home & off to club again for another enjoyable night. the whole day was absolutely bloody freezing, it looked like it was going to be a warm day so didn't take my jacket, fool me.

Due to late tide we set off at 9.00 to Stewart Islands & surrounding sand flats for one 33 cm bar tailed flat head & that was it for the whole bloody trip.

On the way home picked up the pots for 2 just legal sand crabs & 22 undersized or female muddies.

I am sure you can understand how cheesed of we were not to get one keeper out of that many.

So all up a great weekend away with mates, but totally disappointed with the fishing, 2 fish & 2 crabs, but everyone reckons that Friday night at the club was one we will remember for a long time.

Monday was just get up, pack & head home for the usual clean up.

Great weekend but no damn fish.

I know they are there, just waiting for my next trip, which won't be 30 years in the waiting.

Cheers

Fearlessgoagan - it was actually a house, which is the house on the right side of entrance to the caravan park, house was known as K'Gari cottage, recommend it.

Elicat - Tide times dictated the late starts, fortunately, as the heads were a bit sore

Malcolm - No green zones, no pics forgot the camera but the fish weren't worth the effort of a photo.

Cheers

Can't say I'm surprised at your lack of success mate. Have spent 7000 hours fishing that part of the country around Tuan and Boona. Up the creek can go well, but watch the rocks, esp past the jew hole (9m deep about 500m upstream from ramp on big right hand corner.) You can get winteries in the channel leading out to the sputnik; best I have done is on the run in tide. Tailor occasionally to the right of sputnik in big flat bay. Also worth going over to figtree to fish the coffee rock but it's a good trip over, especially if the strait chops up.

Barely ever caught a decent muddie there. Flogged by the Maryborough Push. Don't go up though expecting to do any better than you did. Just enjoy the area I think. If you want fish go to the Mary via Beaver Rock.

Thanks for the info.

I headed up with high hopes as I holidayed up there over 30 years ago & did very well, I suppose I am going to have look at it as though they were the glory days.

Any way a great boys weekend.

Cheers

Archived