Mangrove Jacks finally avaliable!

benni

hi guys, we have finally after a 12 month drought secured some LEGAL juvenile Mangrove Jacks.

These are sourced through one of Australias biggest aquarium fish suppliers- Aquarium industries. This ensures the specimens are either aquacultured or collected from a private and legal source (the ramifications far exceed the profit when it comes to illegally collecting aquarium fish).

We currently have 2 left at 5cm for $195 and 4 left at 9cm for $250

expensive i know, but these are in massive demand all throughout australia and again legal mangrove jacks will always be top dollar in comparison to shop who purchase them illegally.

Please contact Atlas Aquarium on (07) 3256 3774 or email at atlasaquarium@live.com.au we are also on facebook for an immediate response (best method as these will sell fast).

270 Rode Road Wavell Heights

Happy Fishing

Ben :-)

At that price and no paperwork to say its legal, whats stopping someone from spending $5 on some bait and catching one to use as a pet.

cos you need to spend thousands of dollars on rods, reels and flash lures, hooks, castnets, kayaks and then upgrade to a tinnie and invest half your waking moments dreaming and planning on the how, where and when to catch one..........trust me :(

thanks guys for the replies

Elops- im not too sure but with the amount of questions i will certainly find the source.

Darcy- Again not sure, i do know that the risks involved for business is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, so i highly doubt they/we will put that much risk into illegal collection. i do wonder if you owned property either side of a freshwater creeks, or a creek that floods over your property then receeds, the mangrove jacks that could acccour in a land locked catchment on your property... would be yours wouldnt they? i saw this in townsville a few years back, one "puddle" had over $2000 worth of fingerling natives (Mostly jacks, some jungle perch and heaps of red scats)

Daveo17- i can show you the purchasing invoice to prove the source, again to have a state (maybe country) wide shortage for 12 months sure implys that the stores are not ready to stock illegally collected fish, However- a few years prior there was a person in cairns selling them, that promised DPI paperwork, but never sent them through.

Robin- Nothing is stopping you, people who have integrity for the law and are respectful towards our waterways will know a jack under 35cm needs to go back. Certainly anything above 35cm is legal (well, you choose whether to eat it or house it should be legal).

Sorry about the no quotes.....

just an update 1x 5cm is left and 2x 9cm

if there taken from the wild how can they be deemed legal. i thought they had to be bred to be legal.

darcy you used to be able to get a permit from the DPI to catch fish for display in an aquarium as an amature for your own use, and you probably still can

or you can get a licence as a professional to catch fish for sale to the aquarium trade

i had NSW andQld ameture permits most of my teenage years and a professional qld licence in my 20's,this licence allows you to keep undersized fish of certain species for aquarium use as well

The only licenced freshwater collection in QLD is the glass eel fishery.

THERE IS NO collection of freshwater fish for sale permitted. Breeders are allowed to collect broodstock to breed only, it is a stipulation on the permit that they can not be sold only the F1 progeny. Only current source of Jacks in QLD is legal sized fish from the line fishery live trade or licenced marine collectors. Currently there are NO cultured Jacks being produced in QLD. Other states have different regulations though NT and WA are under review hence the dearth of Jacks in the aquarium trade.

The only licenced freshwater collection in QLD is the glass eel fishery.

THERE IS NO collection of freshwater fish for sale permitted. Breeders are allowed to collect broodstock to breed only, it is a stipulation on the permit that they can not be sold only the F1 progeny. Only current source of Jacks in QLD is legal sized fish from the line fishery live trade or licenced marine collectors. Currently there are NO cultured Jacks being produced in QLD. Other states have different regulations though NT and WA are under review hence the dearth of Jacks in the aquarium trade.

must have changed the rules then because these licences and permits were quite common in the 80's

Heya Jeff

The commercial fishing licenses and laws have changed dramatically over the last 20 years.

As Steve said in the above post,it is totally illegal to commercial fish in any freshwater in QLD unless it is for eels.

Commercial fishers also have to abide by size limits like rec fishos so if these jacks were wild caught they should be the min size and they would have to be collected from tidal waters.

The only legal avenue for small jacks,especially freshwater ones is from a hatchery.

Aquarium Industries is a massive importer-wholesaler in Victoria so who knows where the source of these Jacks came from.

They may even have been imported into the country if they are available overseas.

Rec fishers can collect for their aquariums but again size and bag limits must be adhered to and no wild caught fish can ever be sold by rec fishers.

If you caught a legal Jack and kept it at home for a few years you still cannot technically sell it as it is still a wild caught fish.

I doubt very much that Aquarium Industries will be doing anything illegal and I also know Benni,he is a great guy and very well respected in the aquarium trade/hobby.

I have no doubts what so ever that Benni is not doing anything illegal,with a large retail shop like he has it is not worth the hassles to sell a half dozen illegal fish to make a couple of bucks.

If something illegal has occurred back up the line,it is from the wholesaler and not the unsuspecting buyers/resellers.

Thanks for the kind words lance! Your are bang on that is isnt worth the risk to make a few bucks, hence my refusal all summer from fisherman asking if i want to buy jacks.....knowing quiet well that they are illegal. personally i like my jacks to be greater than 50cm!

Just got off the phone from Aquarium Industries and they are from the darwin area.

Thanks

Archived