Tilapia in winter

Aaron H

Hi guys,

Just wondering were the Tilapia are at the moment went down to my favourite two spots on Tingalpa creek on the weekend, these places from Jan to Apr I was catching 30 to 40 in a couple of hours on the weekend I got one, do Tilapia hibernate or breed in winter throwing them off the chew?

Aaron my most sucessful Tilapia trip was actually this winter.

However we fished for 1 hour with nothing. As soon as the water warmed up a bit though.

Fish after fish.

Thus i dont think they hibernate, but they are obviosly sluggish in the cold.

as far as winter goes, i reckon with wait for a hot day and fish from about 10:00am till 2:00pm and syou should get results.

Angus

Dave i have never been colder in my life than when i was working in South Africa.

Its the same principle as out west here.

During the day it can be very hot due to the sun. But at night its drops far and fast.

You only need to look at a globe to see South Africa and Australia are nearly in line.

And before anyone says, \"maybe they are from North Africa\", they are widely distrubuted among the southern half of the continent.

It is true however that lots of dead Tilapia surface on Leslie Harrison Dam.

I think personally though this is a not a great enough number to dent the population as they are still there in numbers!

Angus

mayb they jsut die becouse therre are so many of them in such little spaces, also bein winter mayb the bait fishing become less active and harder for the tilapia the catch as there hiding in snags ect. but honestly i dont no why they die in winter like dave said im jsut guessing with my ancer

ando

yeh mate same place , going with one of my chick friends , she wants to have a go at freshwater fishing .

:P we are having a comp she thinks you will win lol , better not , but yeh i think i will win and nail them carp and Tilapia .

Let you know how i do and who gets more fish :whistle:

• 6 months later...

maybe they have a short life cycle and they breed then die... it's not uncommon among fish to die after spawning, though i suppose they would have to spawn all year round to be that prolific. some dams have really cold tributaries even if they are in warm areas- lake manchester is considered cold enough for trout- it's on cabbage tree creek and is meant to be freezing!

the reason why the tilapia die in winter is because in summer, the warmer water is able to support more oxygen, but then when the temp drops and the tiliapia have finished having lots of sex and babies, there all of a sudden becomes a boom in the population, but a lack of oxygen and then they diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie :evil: horribly and painfully

Oztrav wrote:

I think your not allowed but no one is there to enforce if you stay quite their shouldnt be any problem

have you been out there travis? i heard it was all fenced off with 6\"cyclone mesh and barbed wire on top.

but that sounds a bit extreme.

Archived