Jumpinpin Pointers

hattori hanzo

Hey,

Pretty new to fishing this area and am just after some pointers. What I've done to date is fished the northern side of the mud clumps and the entrance to Tiger mullet channel on a run out tide targeting bream with plastics with reasonable success. Today I'm going to fish the afternoon run in tide but never really had any success in these areas on this tide. I also wish to target Tailor and or Jew this time.

Can anyone please steer me in the right direction i.e do these areas hold these species? Should I move else where lke the stys? should I use bait(e.g. pillies or livies.)

Any input/opinions or yarns about past success in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cam

For Tailor try close to the bar - from Kalinga Bank to the mouth. One of the better Tailor spots is the yellow cross at the north eastern tip of Crusoe island. I was up the Pin last weekend and we found a school of choppers on the eastern side of gold bank - saw them smashing bait on the surface. No size but a lot of fun.

Jew are also in the main bar entrance, from Kalinga Bank to the mouth. Try the slower parts of the tide. Nights are supposed to be better than days.

• 6 years later...
On 10/02/2019 at 7:24 AM, jhedrick said:

I think I might give this a shot next week. I have never caught a jew before 

Good luck @jhedrick Good sized live mullet make an irresistible bait. There are quite a few on the inside of the bar. Try the deepest hole you can find at the snags between Swan Bay and Jumpinpin Bar. 

I so hope you get one!

not sure where I got this info from, but it`s in my Jumpinpin fishing record file. may be of use to some as starting points

1 - Giant’s Grave is located at approximately the middle of Russell Island on the western shoreline.

The prime fishing area is at mouth of a small creek that drains Browns Bay.

While not exceptionally deep, it is deeper than surrounding waters and produces consistent catches of mulloway for those using live bait and in more recent years good numbers of pan size snapper on the run out tide.

Aprox Location: 27° 40.388'S 153° 22.012'E  

2 - Marks Rocks is one of the more consistent locations in the logan River during winter, producing mainly mulloway and bream. Anchoring on the southern side of the channel and casting up River, letting your bait wash over the submerged rocks on the southern shoreline during the run in tide is a good way to catch a feed of bream. Dropping a live bait down on a long leader and letting it swim in the current as the tide slows for the turn is a good technique for mulloway.

Aprox Location: 27° 42.096'S 153° 19.429'E

3 - Flat Rock as it is known by locals, is a sandy area and ‘almost’ island in the channel that skirts the southern end of Russell Island.

It is one of the better whiting locations at Jumpinpin using yabbies or blood worms on a run out tide. It is also a good place to drift or troll in the summer months for flathead.

Aprox Location: 27° 42.508'S 153° 22.559'E

4 - Cobby Bank, the southern extent of Cobby Cobby Island including all the sandy areas at the entrance to Cobby Passage is one of the more consistent flathead location at Jumpinpin.

The best technique is to stay at some distance so as not to spook the fish and cast into the shallows, retrieving your lure into deeper water. The last hour of the run in tide and first of the run out is usually the most consistent in this area.

Aprox location: 27° 44.047'S 153° 24.183'E

5 - The eastern tip of Short Island, despite strong tidal flow, is one the of more consistent bream and mulloway locations at Jumpinpin in the winter months. Anchor as close to the Island as you can and fish both under the boat hard up against the shoreline ledge as well as casting up current into the deeper main channel, letting your bait wash down with the tide.

Aprox location: 27° 44.715'S 153° 24.604'E

6 - Middle Bank is an undulating sandy area between Crusoe and North Stradbroke islands that is flooded by tidal water from both Duck Creek and the main channel leading to the Pin Bar. It is one of the most consistent whiting and flathead locations at Jumpinpin in the summer months. The trick here is to move often as the depth and amount of current varies a lot.

Aprox location: 27° 44.556'S 153° 25.122'E

7 - South Stradbroke Island lagoon is a sheltered anchorage just south of the Pin Bar that allows anglers to moor their boats away from the tidal flow and boat traffic of Jumpinpin and take the short walk over the dunes to South Stradbroke eastern beach. Once on the beach anglers can walk north to the Pin Bar or south looking for likely gutters that hold a variety of species including tailor, mulloway bream and whiting.

Aprox location: 27° 44.654'S 153° 26.446'E

8 - The eastern end of Tiger Mullet Channel is flanked by two sand banks; Gold Bank to the south and Green Bank to the north. The area usually has a good yabbie population and as a result a reliable location for a feed of whiting and flathead by either fishing the shifting sands in the centre of the channel or the edges of yabbie banks.

Aprox location: 27° 45.499'S 153° 25.817'E

9 - The Southport Seaway north wall is one of the more consistent locations in SE Qld for mulloway, tailor and passing pelagic species. The deep hole off the end of the wall at its eastern most tip is a good place to swim a live bait for a mulloway, tuna or mackerel, especially on the turn of the tide. A floating pilchard in winter will see good catches of tailor and in close to the white water wash has a good population of bream. Sharks can be a problem taking hooked fish at times.

Aprox Location: 27° 55.993'S 153° 25.886'E

10 - Jack Alley as it is often referred too, is a stretch of the north arm of the Coomera River from Jabiru Island up River skirting the rock walls, jetties and moorings of the Sanctuary Cove development. Trolling this area, being sure to stay out of private marinas, is a great way to target the the resident healthy population of mangrove jack and estuary cod in summer.

Aprox Location: 27° 51.285'S 153° 22.134'E

15 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Good luck @jhedrick Good sized live mullet make an irresistible bait. There are quite a few on the inside of the bar. Try the deepest hole you can find at the snags between Swan Bay and Jumpinpin Bar. 

I so hope you get one!

I've already been. I will put up a report tomorrow. I can definitely say that 50km winds are not as fun as they sound. I will remember this for next time though. I just caught heaps of herring which don't live that long. 

Archived