What Live Bait Are They

kitacooch

Hi peoples, am learning the ropes with my new boat, have found the bait grounds just out from the sea way here on the Goldy and am wondering what they are and what are they best for.

I know one of the species is Slimy Mackerel, but not sure what the other more plentiful species is, can someone tell me what types i can expect to be catching there?

Also is one better than the other?

Is the bait ground reliable? I have only been there once, found it easily and got into the bait within minutes, just not sure if it is reliable enough to head out without any frozen bait or not??

Cheers

The 2 most common baits are Slimey Mackeral and Yellowtail Scad (Yakkas)

Both are great baits for just about anything but generally a live slimey is the better bait overall.

They come and go all the time,things like water temps,currents,food and nutrients for them to feed on all determine if and where they may be.

You can never go to sea expecting to catch them so you should always carry a supply of bait with you.

Other good baits that you can catch on the reefs include Pilchards,Herring,Pike,Cowanyoung,Bonito,Mack Tuna,Grey Scad,Rainbow Runners ect.

Yakkas are very hardy but slimmies tend to die quickly if not handled right always use a pliers to get them off the hooks straight into the live bait well don't touch them with your hands till its time to put them on the hook and keep it above the lateral line on the fish. I would always take pilchards with me as live bait at times can be tricky to catch and don't forget one of my favourites live trevally

OK thanks for that guys, very helpful, do you all just use the jigs?? they seem to work well on the yakas and slimies, but what about Pilchards,Herring,Pike,Cowanyoung,Bonito,Mack Tuna,Grey Scad,Rainbow Runners, do you target them a particular way? are they by catch? is there a way of finding them with the sounder??

i am guessing that pilchards, herring, bonito and tuna in big schools??

cheers

i find it better to go the the 24's on the goldie to get livies..normally bigger and better bait balls easier to get...everything will eat a live slimmie but yakka's do say alive alot longer...we normally get full strings when out on the 24's jigging for them on the way out to the 50's for kingies....normally horse slimies this time of year

Archived