Tangalooma Wrecks Advice Please?

sunnydays

Hey Guys and Girls!

I finally have the window to throw my kayak on the old man's boat and head to Moreton Island for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights. The plan is to spend two nights at the wreck, and one night at the Sand Dunes.

I'm after some advice from anyone who has fished the wrecks and surrounds with light tackle and lures??? - as the heaviest rod I'm taking is 4-8lb!

I have read that there are a lot of trevally and big bream around the wrecks so I was thinking I might spend a bit of time fishing the surface in the mornings, then sink small plastics down the edge of the wreck with 6lb leader during the day.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Justin :)

You should see a few rat yellow tail kings there also,

Look out cause they LOVE a well presented plastic or surface lure on a still morning......nwe normally fish 8lb braid and 20 lb leaders and get dusted by bigger ones mid week..

You also get some good squid just to the south of the wrecks so take a few jigs with u also

Good luck

Last time I fished the wrecks with the kayak, I drop some Damiki Vaults (blades) straight down the sides of the wreck and just bounced them off the bottom. I lost 6 blades due to gettting smoked :pinch: I used 6 and 8LB leaders. Can't wait to head over and do it all again, planning to do a bay yak over a few days camping at some of the islands.

Keen-as-fisho wrote:

Last time I fished the wrecks with the kayak, I drop some Damiki Vaults (blades) straight down the sides of the wreck and just bounced them off the bottom. I lost 6 blades due to gettting smoked I used 6 and 8LB leaders. Can't wait to head over and do it all again, planning to do a bay yak over a few days camping at some of the islands.

What were you catching with the blades?

Were you using blades because the wreck was deep?

You reckon I'll have any luck with Atomic crank deeps?

cheers Dennis B)

Hey Justin

The wrecks are probably around 4-5 metres deep, the water there is pretty clear and on a good day you can see the bottom.

Current can rip through there but you can adjust jig head size accordingly.

Last time is was there a few weeks back I was using aqua prawns on a 1/6 jig head and that made it easy to the bottom, you want to fish as light as possible in my opinion as it gives the plastic more time to drift down past the wreck, you will get hundreds of hits but mainly the little reef species having a peck here and there

I caught a nice golden trevally there, longtom and there are more species than you keep track of!!!

You will also find some good eddies are created amongst the wrecks and they tend to hold some decent fish every now and then

The only down side is when the weather is good the place is packed with boats, jet skis and people swimming etc so i can be tough to fish or get to certain spots due to boats tying off on the wrecks

Perhaps mid week or when the weather is a bit ordinary may be a better option ;)

Manni79 wrote:

Hey Justin

The wrecks are probably around 4-5 metres deep, the water there is pretty clear and on a good day you can see the bottom.

Current can rip through there but you can adjust jig head size accordingly.

Last time is was there a few weeks back I was using aqua prawns on a 1/6 jig head and that made it easy to the bottom, you want to fish as light as possible in my opinion as it gives the plastic more time to drift down past the wreck, you will get hundreds of hits but mainly the little reef species having a peck here and there

I caught a nice golden trevally there, longtom and there are more species than you keep track of!!!

You will also find some good eddies are created amongst the wrecks and they tend to hold some decent fish every now and then

The only down side is when the weather is good the place is packed with boats, jet skis and people swimming etc so i can be tough to fish or get to certain spots due to boats tying off on the wrecks

Perhaps mid week or when the weather is a bit ordinary may be a better option

Thanks for that Manni, some good info there!

B)

Keen-as-fisho wrote:
Last time I fished the wrecks with the kayak, I drop some Damiki Vaults (blades) straight down the sides of the wreck and just bounced them off the bottom. I lost 6 blades due to gettting smoked I used 6 and 8LB leaders. Can't wait to head over and do it all again, planning to do a bay yak over a few days camping at some of the islands.

What were you catching with the blades?

Were you using blades because the wreck was deep?

You reckon I'll have any luck with Atomic crank deeps?

cheers Dennis B)

Never saw the fish that were bricking me, I reckon a decent cod and I have been told that theres some good jacks hanging around there. Depth and current was the reason for using blades and I didn't bother using any hard bodies but it would be worth a go.

Archived