Gold Coast Trev

werewolf

Went fishing with a mate in the GC broadwater yesterday. We were chasing flatties but got distracted by frequent boils on the surface, which we tried to chase and cast lures in the general direction for no result. At one point we were anchored up throwing our plastics around, and the boils appeared 10 m beside the boat. I cast straight into it and BAM fish on. The fish swam into the quite strong current and not pulling too hard so I was thinking a tailor. After a moment it realised it was hooked and stripped a good amount of line, upgrading my call to trev :) The fish hunkered down deep and took a reasonable amount of line, but quickly wore as it fortunetly keep swimming into the current. After a few tricky moments avoiding the anchor rope and the fish eluding the net, my mate had it netted and swung onboard my PB GT :) High fives all round! My 12 lb leader was pretty scuffed so lucky the fight didn't drag on much longer!

post-125-144598815786_thumb.jpg

The only other capture of the day looked like it was a cross between a grinner and a pike.

post-125-144598815796_thumb.jpg

Was surprised to see all the trev action, though it was completely the wrong season! Oh lure was a greenish PowerBait minnow, 2.5 feet of 12 lb fluro and 6 lb fireline mainline.

LOL that would be impressive if it was a snakehead (but very bad at the same time). I've got no idea what it is.

Got a pair of good sized fillets off the GT. Interestingly the fillet we ate the first night had noticeably better flavour than the second fillet the next night. The fillet the second night was cooked the same way however it was the lower one that the blood "pooled" in as the fish was on its side in the esky, and must have slightly tainted its flesh. It was still nice, just not as good as the other fillet. Must remember to bleed trevally in the future.

Archived