AFOers do well at todays KFT

Keen-as-fisho

Today was the final comp for this years super series of the KFT (kayak fishing tournaments). This round was held up at Mooloolbaba, conditions were ordinary with cold damp winds but it was bearable. The first hour was hot for me with four legal Bream coming on board, and the fifth Bream coming in the last hour of the comp to get my full bag. Soft plastics were the go today. At the weigh in my bag came in at 8th place, Dan came 4th and Ant came 2nd B) Congrats guys. Khoi missed out on the Bream today however he did manage a 42cm Trevally to take the BCF wild card species and to top it off he won the kayak, awesome stuff mate and no excuse to not come out chasing Bass now B) As for the Angler of the series I came 8th, Dan 9th and Jords 10th. Well done guys.

I didn't get any photos apart from the Bream caught.

was a pretty interesting day for me - most people found there fish early on, I didn't manage a hit until 2 hours in :(. Managed to get a just legal at about 8.40, then struggled with a few undersized flatties and a toadie. Went and found a new set of canals which paid off for me. At the entrance hooked up onto something heavy with big solid headshakes, possibly a jewie, but didn't last long on the 3lb :(.

Moved further up the canals and managed an undersized bream off a pontoon. Cast at the pontoon directly opposite and managed another legal. Picked up a few small fish around the place, including one that would have been lucky to go 7cm long.

Then managed to nail a corker flattie up around the 70cm mark, that would have inhaled the plastic close to 10cm down its gut.

Managed my biggest bream of the day not long after at 28.5 fork.

paddling back to the weigh in, had a flick in under a pontoon and scored a solid hit, which then started peeling drag straight up the middle of the canal. Felt heavy, with solid headshakes, and thought I was onto a kg fish. Got it towards the boat and got a flash of silver, was looking good.

Turns out it as a dirty grunter :(.

Ended up with 14th I'm pretty sure, so not too shabby

Cheers guys and well done to Dan, Denis and Khoi. Also a big congrats again to Den, Dan and also Jords for making the top 10 in AOS, well done fellas.

Well my day was almost perfect, my first stop resulted in the first legal coming on board at 6:35. I decided to hit the marine and trawlers after that and it proved a fruitful decision with the second and third legal coming on board at 7:50 and 8:05, 1 boat, 2 casts, 2 legals, thanks for coming. Went off to the trawlers and after a bit of a chinwag to a couple of other competitors set about hitting a boat hull that I'm pretty sure runty had just fished for no result only to pull out my fourth. I shot off back to the boat that I scored my second and third fish and proceeded to round out my bag before 10:00 with a small 24.4cm fish. I hit the canals for a bit searching for an upgrade but it was quiet there so made the decision to turn back to the trawlers as I had witnessed the big bream for the comp being pulled from there. This proved another fruitful decision scoring a 1.6cm upgrade on my smallest fish, it had started drizzling by then so I made up my mind to head back content with a full bag but knowing I probably needed one more decent fish. As it turns out I got tired paddling and still had 45mins up my sleeve so hit a spot close to the launch to rest a bit and before you know it I had landed a solid 5.2cm upgrade going 29.8FL and that was the biggest of my bag.

That was my comp, my total bag length was 134.7 cm's and as mentioned by Den managed second place only 5cm behind first :woohoo:

Also well done to Jarryd who managed to pick up a legal in his first kft.

Congratulations Ant on 2nd, great result B) . I was stoked to come 4th and was not expecting it with the 5 I had. :woohoo: Day started well for me having 3 legals including a 30fork within the first hour and a half. B) I grinded it out in the canals for another hour to eventually pull another legal, 24.5fl I think... It really shut down for me then and I struggled to get a bite anywhere. I thought I may aswell change it up, and hit a different set of canals near the launch that was a little bit more un-touched. Definetly a smart move that payed off, which resulted in me getting my 5th legal. :) My bag ended up being 129.1cm which I was happy with considering how slow the bite had been for me.

Thought I'd throw up the pic of my 30FL.

P1010099.jpg

Well done to Den on 8th place, Jords, Jarryd, Khoi, and James also on there efforts.

Cheers

Dan

well done boys!!!

Ant, your rocked the house brother well done!

Just imagine when you get that DSI going...oh my lord! lol!

All the comp stuff has made me think I am going to join you lads and give this comp stuff a go.

Will start practising now.

Batty

Well done to the AFO crew today - everyone bar runty and jarryd walked away with a prize!

I had a shocker day, wanted to hit the trawlers in the morning but rudder wouldnt let me go right only left so took a while to get it sorted and it came good =]

Worked hard all day and finally got a hookup which resulted in the trev. A million casts throughout the day only resulted in one bite :(

Congrats to Denny, Dan and Jords for they're AOY placings and for Chafule and Jarryd catching a bream - something i havent been able to do at a kft but it all worked out lol!

First KFT for me and very much enjoyed it. Like Khoi I had rudder problems and couldnt turn right until khoi fixed it around 10am when I started catching fish.

Should have read the rules or updated my knowledge of the size limits as my bag turned out having 3 undersize - rarely take bream home.

Still scored a $20 gift card.

My day started promising and got increasing more frustrating as it went on. Second cast of the day I picked up a rat off my first spot. Got my first legal a short time after that. Then a sea of pike. Ended up with over a dozen of them in the first couple of hours.

Started flicking under the jetties near the trawlers hoping to get something other than pike. 2 good hooks-ups which ended the same way, busted on the oyster covered pylons. Probably would have been the difference between top 20 and top 10.

Moved into the canals to hit a few spots given to me by a mate. They were packed so I went out towards the moored boats just before the sea wall. More pike and a 50cm flattie. In total wasted about an hour of my time trying to find a place to hang a leak (drinking 1.5L of coffee before the round wasn't a smart choice).

Landed another legal under the trawlers at about 10am. After that more pike. Called it day at about 11:45 when nature called again. All in all wasn't the worst day. Caught plenty of fish, just the wrong species.

Congrats to Ant and Dan on the top 5.

awesome day for myself..

too excited so did an all nighter eating junk food and watching chick flicks ;)

wasnt a good move at all.. had the worse stomach cramps and felt eel all day

so just sat in the canals after i fished the trawlers for not much waiting for dan to find me ;)

so followed Dan around.. had a nap.. solid days fishing ! ;)

And thanks alot dan for taking me up and back.

And thanks sooo much (The Outfitter) Andrew for lending me his Revo 11 for the day! gotta catch up for a fish for sure!

Archived