WBI Report - Trevally (video)

TheLazyboy

Hey guys i went for a kayak camping fishing trip down at wavebreak island. We left on tuesday in our packed inflatable and kayak.

post-8562-144598821523_thumb.jpg

post-8562-144598821547_thumb.jpg

after we set up we decided to go for a castnet, could get any bait. Had to get the drag net out,and it was bloody cold. We got a lot of winter whitting, bettys,mullet, gar, some sort of penical fish and a few small trevs. we use them on the beach, rock wall, wieghted, dead, live, unwieghted and floating and still nothing for a good half the day fishing. only getting smashed on the heads of the whiting and the bettys getting smashed but no hookups. We called it a night and woke up early in the morning. It was time for me to chase the birds in the kayak. i got out there hiting ther birds with my slug, all the boats around where hooking up. I get a zzzzzzzz then i drops it, then next cast my line tangles everywhere and it was game over for me. so i head back and did another drag net. got alot of bait. fish out the day only geting small fish. Then night came again and it was state of origin time, My mate decide he had enough and paddled 3km to sea world then chained the kayak up and found a pub to watch the game. me and my other mate decide to pop the radio out and listen to the game while fishing. We got a few bream and one weird eel.

post-8562-144598821537_thumb.jpg

We called it a night after hearing qld won :woohoo:

In the morning i couldnt be bothered chasing the birds so i just was casting off my metal slug of the beach. I get a huge hookup and get busted off. I gave my mate a yell to get me some more slugs and he gives me a slug made from his dads work which made it. By that time we had about 15mins before we had to packup and leave so I moved to the rocks and give it a cast, didn't think it would be any good but second cast i got a hook up then lost it, then cast again and pulled a nice lil trev up. and it was awesome being able to see them follow the lure right to the rock and there was some huge ones. I get about 4 in 10 mins so i hand my rod over to my mate whos filming and third cast he brings one up then i had another cast and it went off and the reel F$%@ed it self, it just ment we had to go.
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtJpFzmKlR4

That 15 mins was worth the two day camping trip. if we had 30mins more we could of had some really nice fish, but at least we got something instead of nothing.

Kudos to you guys dragging all that gear over and giving it a red hot go! Spewing you got onto the fish late, I spend a lot of time near wavebreak and it certainly can be hard going sometimes but sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for the report, it was a good read :)

Archived