whos catching tailor

bennyl

I was there yesterday (Thursday) between 4.30 till dusk.

When it became really dark, nearly impossible to see anything, the bites started.

Again I could caught NO tailor, however I caught one good size dart fish which was over 40cm. It was caught on 3 steel ganged hooks, with a fresh sardine that I bought from fish market.

It was very windy and the direction of the wind was from north to south and I was fishing about 500-600 meters south of jetty pump.

Cheers.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you very much.

In day time or in the morning I exactly tried the same spot where people were catching lots of tailors at night, I tried HALCO shiny twisted lure (30gm) several times, and no bites.

I think fresh sardines will be better, but I could only catch dart fish so far and no tailor yet.

I was there yesterday (Thursday) between 4.30 till dusk.

When it became really dark, nearly impossible to see anything, the bites started.

Again I could caught NO tailor, however I caught one good size dart fish which was over 40cm. It was caught on 3 steel ganged hooks, with a fresh sardine that I bought from fish market.

It was very windy and the direction of the wind was from north to south and I was fishing about 500-600 meters south of jetty pump.

Cheers.

I am not a pro at Tailor I only started targeting them this year, but from my experience this year my bites have been from dusk into the evening (up to about 9-10pm). So I would suggest more time on the beach if you want to get tailor.

No tailor where I was tonight (Down on Wooyung Beach) then I did not stay for a lengthy period, Strong sweep to the right. I fished the bottom of the tide until tide change for another 2 hours.

Not even a bream, NW winds strong at first then slowed.

I'll go again when the SE or SW winds come through.

Might try behind seaworld mid week.

Chewbacoo

Yesterday (Friday night),

I was at Narrowneck and again no tailor, there were few people chasing tailor and they caught nothing as well (until around 8pm).

I caught 2 big bream and they were delicious, but not as tasty as a tailor.

I checked people's tailor rigs, and most were 60cm from sinker to one arm of the T shape Green Led Lit Swivvel, 1 meter line from the bottom of T Shape Swivvel to the ganged hooks and the rest of the line at the spool goes to the other arm of the T shape swivvel.

Is this tailor rig correct ?

blue09

Seems like the tailor must be all up Fraser Island. There should be some stragglers around.

Tailor rigs can vary some rigs have ganged 4x4/0 hooks with 30cm of line to a swivel with either no lead or ball sinker ranging from size 2 to size 10 with another swivel, these lines could be 10kg or 40kg mono, some might use wire trace on larger tailor but this also has less hook up rate compared to mono.

If there is a strong sweep it's difficult to fish as fish will tend to go out further as fish need to expend a lot of energy in strong current.

Were these people fishing with chemical light sticks using a float or lead. I've never seen a Green LED T shaped Swivel, must be something relatively new.

Chewbacoo

blue09

Seems like the tailor must be all up Fraser Island. There should be some stragglers around.

Tailor rigs can vary some rigs have ganged 4x4/0 hooks with 30cm of line to a swivel with either no lead or ball sinker ranging from size 2 to size 10 with another swivel, these lines could be 10kg or 40kg mono, some might use wire trace on larger tailor but this also has less hook up rate compared to mono.

If there is a strong sweep it's difficult to fish as fish will tend to go out further as fish need to expend a lot of energy in strong current.

Were these people fishing with chemical light sticks using a float or lead. I've never seen a Green LED T shaped Swivel, must be something relatively new.

Chewbacoo

Thank you very much. I also saw it for the first time. The fisherman was a very friendly Asian guy. He explained everything about his rig in detail.

First spool line, then swivel and then another swivel after 30cm. And between that 2 swivels (30cm line) there was a green led lit plastic (swivel look) clips which was going to the hooks 1m ahead.

And at the bottom hole of the swivel of the (30cm line) was connected to another line of 60cm which was going to the sinker with 3 steel wires which would make it stick to the sand and not move.

So, sinker will be 60 and the hooks will be 1meter line. But I am not sure if this is the right method.

blue09,

That sinker is called a grapnel sinker, it's designed to anchor in the sand so as not to move in the strong sweep or current.

The sinker could be home made and can be purchased at some tackle shops, not all tackle shops stock or carry grapnel sinkers. They do come in different weights.

I've used slider lures and have been successful around rocky headlands and beaches on occassions, I keep my pillies brined (salted a few days), stays on the hooks longer and does not fall apart after a few casts.

I've caught tailor on pillies that were a month old,

Chewbcoo

blue09,

That sinker is called a grapnel sinker, it's designed to anchor in the sand so as not to move in the strong sweep or current.

The sinker could be home made and can be purchased at some tackle shops, not all tackle shops stock or carry grapnel sinkers. They do come in different weights.

I've used slider lures and have been successful around rocky headlands and beaches on occassions, I keep my pillies brined (salted a few days), stays on the hooks longer and does not fall apart after a few casts.

I've caught tailor on pillies that were a month old,

Chewbcoo

Again thank you for the help

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone been catching any tailor today (Sunday)? I was down at Wooyung beach and South Tweed Heads (Fingal Head side) and nothing at both places.

I heard Friday last week they were thick.

Chewbacoo

Tried Narrowneck for tailor last saturday, the tide was high, the depth of the water was really good, there was a great gutter, but there wasnt even a single bite.

I am thinking to try again this Friday night, but there is no tailor around...

How about Burleigh Heads ?

blue09

Plenty of tailor caught on North Straddie as well as Fraser Island , would be great to go there but I don't have a 4WD.

I have not tried Burleigh Heads and not familiar with thar area Maybe someone from that area would know.

Chewbacoo

I know, but North Straide or Fraser is too far. I live in Gold Coast.

Even a small boat in Gold Coast will be so helpful to catch tailor, I am sure. From the beach it is very hard and tiring to catch any tailor because water is too shallow and there is no wharf in whole Gold Coast. Jetty Pump is not handy, it is in the middle of nowhere.

If there are any buddies in Gold Coast with even a small boat going fishing soon, I'd like to join.

Welcome to the club,

I reside in Beenleigh area and also have no boat and have driven many miles.

No worries.

At the beginning of Coolongatta Beach, (hotels and market places area where there are several bumps and pedestrian crossings) if you walk 100-200meters north side, there is a rocky area which is about 100 meters to the ocean, and it is safe and easy to walk on.

The water is clean and deep there. It is possible to cast anywhere you like.

I saw 2 guys fishing on a weekend there in day time. I might try that spot at later afternoon for tailor, but I suspect that all of them already moved north as we are in September.

Thanks for the directions.

You could be correct about tailor moving on, I do know tailor can be caught year round but the bulk of the schools would not be around and would have dispersed. If they have migrated north for spawning then chances are they will be making their return trip south around December or late as February as they were late making their was north this season.

I may be incorrect on this but could well be the case.

Chewbacoo

Thanks for the directions.

You could be correct about tailor moving on, I do know tailor can be caught year round but the bulk of the schools would not be around and would have dispersed. If they have migrated north for spawning then chances are they will be making their return trip south around December or late as February as they were late making their was north this season.

I may be incorrect on this but could well be the case.

Chewbacoo

Went there today just for fun. As I always keep my fishing gear at my boot I attemted to try, but the wind was crazy and it was impossible to stand on that rocks without getting wet. So, no fishing today, just having a short walk on the beach...

Will try Paradise Point (Runaway Bay). There are few wharfs there, not much wind no waves as the islands protect well, if I wont catch anything, I will not fish for next few months...

Archived