soft plastic rods

reef_raider

Mate my advice to you is to get to Tackle warehouse on Old Cleveland Road.

A lot of people were talking to me about getting this and that for my first SP set up.

The cheaper option were looking pretty dam pricey!!!

Then i went to tackle warehouse.

They have sweet shimano combo's there with a nice rod and sienna reel for $100. For all the other SP setups i was lookng at this is about $200 cheaper.

SO far this rod has served me very well with no issues at all and has already got my some good fish. One day i will upgrade i guess. But in the meantime this is a great starter.

Angus

yeh mate... the cheapest rods with wel known name r around $100 with reels as low as 30-40...

i have a reel i got for $60 that ive used 3 or 4 times that i no longer use... since i up graded.. i cud give it to ya for 25 if ya wanted it... doesnt bother me if you dont want it... its a shimano slade 1000 size reel....

troy

hey mate...

i got my 2 dropshots for $90 each but i have heard you can get them for $70 at other places... am i right?? :S

i have a 2-4kg and a 1-3kg.. they are a good rod as long as your extremely carefull with them... i have snapped each one once before but, even without the reciepts got them replaced for nothing... one was snapped because my frend steped on it... the other was obviously because of a fault in the rod and it snapped wen i pulled out some drag..

but since with the new top pieces for each rod i havent had any troubles

they are made from im6 graphite which is more stiff and brittle then other rods this is why i prefer the 1-3kg over the 2-4kg... i use the 2-4kg as a back up so ive never used it... its matched with the shimano slade...

though really i would go for a daiwa procaster over a dropshot if i had my time again... they are a bit more expensive but have a nicer flex then the dropshot

atm the slade doesnt have any line on it... but i could add some used 8lb fireline i have if you like???

troy

Angus wrote:

Hahaha.

Drop shotts.

Ill wait for Troys answer in this one :) :) :)

Angus

hahah good call angus :P, REEF-raider, if your willing to pay about $150 you can buy a good rod and dawia procast Z with imx grafite 7 i have one now and is a good rod, i also brought a loomis gl2 and is a very good rod once you use loomis you cant go back its worth every cent :0

I got a Jarvis Walker 6'6\" combo, cost me $25 from Big W.

After a while I tossed the Jarvis Walker reel to the back of the shed (it was to big, and came with line like grannies knitting yarn on it) and put a Shimano X2000 reel ($20 eggbeater from local tackle shop) with 6lb 0.20mm diawa mono ($6 from Big W) on it.

Love it. Stiff enough to catch Bass, flexible enough to cast 30 to 40 foot with SP's, the Diawa line is brilliant.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/08/07 20:38

ok tipan is an ok rod bit cheap, the problem with shimano rods is becouse there such a good brand they got a bit cheaps on the rods, there guides are good but the blanks that the use a jsut cheap, also when putting on there bindings they do a quick and cheap job if i wanna cheap but good rod go for a dawia procast for olnt about $150

ando

Reef Raider i was against spending much money on my SP set up.

I had like a small spinning rod and reel combo and i thought to me it looked like any of the set ups you see people using. I went fishing with ando and troy at noosa though. I tried mine for a bit. Did manage my first SP fish on it.

However once i tried a slightly better reel and rod it made such a massive difference to how i could use the SP by feel etc.

Thats why i went shopping. I was lucky and founf the tackle warehouse combo for $100 ( i would have once never thought of paying that hahahahaha) Such a cheap deal but soo worth it. It will serve me well until i have the kinda money where i will go overboard and get a Stadic or Stella.

Angus

Hey

I have a daiwa procastor aswell and its an awesome rod.. i got mine really cheap and u can definately tell the difference with that rod and say a dropshot.

I have a 2-4kg dropshot but it is very stiff and its not really suited to very light SP fishing.

Hope this helps

Archived