I was going out in the tinnie.No tell tale.

Bri The Pom

I have just got the tinnie ready to go out in the morning, i always hook up the hose and run the night before.

I started it and there was no water coming from the tell tale just a small amount of bubbles/water.

Not having the tinnie long im sure theres been pressure there.

I have cleaned the hose for wasps etc.

Am i right in saying impeller/water pump, but why the bubbles.

I have even put the leg in a plastic box of water and ran it that way, still no joy.

Motors an old 15hp evinrude.

Any ideas.

Cheers

Bri.

After Mick_Fillet came over and serviced my motor - we fired it up and no water coming from the tell tale.

I think in the end we took the thermostat out and cleaned it and it was fine again? That and we kept trying to clean in and around to try and dislodge anything that could be blocking it.

Goodluck with fixing the problem Bri

I had no tell tail working at Maroon Dam last weekend.

Wire never cleared the blockage so with the motor running I pulled off the hose from the tell tail fitting and sucked on the hose and 2 chunks of gunk came out.

It looked like fine compacted dust probably from ants.

If your tell tail is not blocked you can remove the thermostat and test it but even a sticky thermostat should not stop the tell tail from pumping water out.

You will need a new impeller fitted,a nice easy little job for you.

I had no tell tail working at Maroon Dam last weekend.

Wire never cleared the blockage so with the motor running I pulled off the hose from the tell tail fitting and sucked on the hose and 2 chunks of gunk came out.

It looked like fine compacted dust probably from ants.

If your tell tail is not blocked you can remove the thermostat and test it but even a sticky thermostat should not stop the tell tail from pumping water out.

You will need a new impeller fitted,a nice easy little job for you.

As the hooker said to the vicar, i'll go and suck on it.

Righto, leg removed and the impeller, every vain is split, so i'll shoot over to slades and hopefully he will have one in stock.

Now i know how to change an impeller.

Does the impeller pull the water right to the tell tale or is there an additional pump as well ???

it could also be a pump fault.

Righto, leg removed and the impeller, every vain is split, so i'll shoot over to slades and hopefully he will have one in stock.

Does the impeller pull the water right to the tell tale or is there an additional pump as well ???

My manual talks about a water pump housing, but that must the impeller housing then.Just realised i didnt take notice which way the impeller came off.

Check the old impeller,the blades/tynes will probably have a natural bend in them indicating which way to fit the new one.

Most blades will flip the right way anyway first time the motor is started.

The water pump they refer to is the impeller housing setup.

The impeller is only a single part of the water pump setup.

My manual talks about a water pump housing, but that must the impeller housing then.Just realised i didnt take notice which way the impeller came off.

brian, go to google, type in the type of engine you have and then add impeller replacement, you will get the information you need.

[attachment]P1080933.JPG[/attachment]

post-662-144598825359_thumb.jpg

Got myself a new impeller and fitted it with no drama's and put it all back together, BUT when i tried it there was still no water coming out the tell tale. So i stripped the leg of again, i can put a hose against the tell tale to flush it the other way, the water comes out to the side of the water pipe shown on the picture and the same when i use a foot pump and air. From the impeller is that a clear passage to the tell tale or can something else be blocked or mis aligned, can't seem force water up the water pipe using a hose.

Cheers all.

[attachment]P1080933.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=52965]P1080932.JPG[/attachment]

Got myself a new impeller and fitted it with no drama's and put it all back together, BUT when i tried it there was still no water coming out the tell tale. So i stripped the leg of again, i can put a hose against the tell tale to flush it the other way, the water comes out to the side of the water pipe shown on the picture and the same when i use a foot pump and air. From the impeller is that a clear passage to the tell tale or can something else be blocked or mis aligned, can't seem force water up the water pipe using a hose.

Cheers all.

Was there any part of the old impeller blades missing?

Take the thermo out and use that hole to force water back through the system.

You may have a blockage up there,especially of you are missing any rubber from the old impeller.

Also did you get the 2 water pipes aligned and fitted together when you re installed the lower leg.

Yes that large hole below the pipe an o ring fits in there,so i presume it centres itself, difficult to see as it disapears in the shroud first.

I think the pipe is not connected to the block properlly.

post-662-144598826434_thumb.jpg

After scouring the internet and youtube, i discover a thermostat, a thermostat is never mentioned in my manual, so off comes the back plate to discover part of a corroded thermo. Remove that and clean the ports, so now gives me a chance to flush the jackets on the block from both ends. But the lower pipe is still blocked at the top. So off comes the powerhead to see whats underneath and hey presto the problem is there, the gromet at the top of the pipe has swollen over the top of the pipe. Just need now to get new gromets and gaskets and a thermostat and we are in business.

I may even do a quick youtube video with pics so no one else suffers my frustration.

If you have a evinrude outboard from 6hp to 300hp and you need a gromet replacing, let me know because im all over this.

Thanks for the many suggestions.

Cheers

Bri :angry:

Archived