Parallel parking at the Honey Hole

tugger

Well the plan was hatched to hit the Honey Hole again this time with Aussie 123/Lance and Abureelman/Lindsay the westerlie wind made for a cold start to the day. This wind also had the effect of reducing any swell outside to nothing so the bar was non exsitstent and our fishing spot calm for a top morning of fishing.

We anchored up in my first spot to see if there was any big snapper around but we only found lots of little ones with 1 pan size hitting the box. The decision was made to move to the Honey Hole with this move starting off slow but later to pay off.

Lindsay got a big bonito into the boat which added some good bait strips to our pilchards baits for the day. A few moses perch started to hit the box with Lanced kicking us off there first then something big hit one of my pilchard baits.

This fish did not want to leave the bottom but i did not go eassy on him either with the fish having a few runs before he started to get closer to the boat. A nice cod came into view and i boated my best moari cod and one of the biggest i have seen.

post-4390-144598826943_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598826834_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598826844_thumb.jpg

The fish were steadily coming oboard the baot now with snapper, moses perch, goatfish, lunar wrasse, silver trevally, trigger fish, mack tuna, lancer fish all making it onbard. The whales were starting to come close to us with a couple of them surfacing right beside the boat any closer and you could gaff them.

Lindsay caught an awesome gold spot wrasse the colours on these fish are spectacular and they are top notch eating to

post-4390-144598826849_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598826855_thumb.jpg

I was next to land a gold spot wrasse and they were starting to get bigger

post-4390-144598826862_thumb.jpg

Lance landed what we think is a juvenile red bass so we took its picture and let him go

post-4390-144598826903_thumb.jpg

Lance landed a big moses perch while Lindsay and I wewre putting some smaller models in the box before it was time to call it a day and head for home to knock down some coldies while filleting some tastey fish

post-4390-14459882691_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598826897_thumb.jpg

Nice one as usual Mark.

The lutjanid looks like across between a red bass and a paddle tail. Maybe its a juvenile paddle tail as it has the lighter fringes on dorsal and anal fins and the tips of the tail are rounded?

Do you guys eat triggers? Aren't some species meant to be a significant ciguatera risk?

Nice one as usual Mark.

The lutjanid looks like across between a red bass and a paddle tail. Maybe its a juvenile paddle tail as it has the lighter fringes on dorsal and anal fins and the tips of the tail are rounded?

Do you guys eat triggers? Aren't some species meant to be a significant ciguatera risk?

Good ID there Dom.

It was definitely a lutjanus gibbus - Paddletail going on your identification.

They have also been known to cause ciguatera poisoning so thats worth remembering for next time.

Thanks Dom

That is a very nice maori and shouldn't be released anywhere but into the esky :lol: I'll call that unknown for a paddletail as well. Caught one a bit bigger than that back in June from the rocks at Amity. As said a no take species for its poisoning potential.

Archived