First Toga

max pwr

After wussing out of the Blakesleys trip I was looking at somewhere inland to escape the wind and decided on a weekend in Imbil where we could check out camping spots for future trips to Borumba and just chill out in general.

Found a cool place to stay right on the creek with fishing right at the back doorstep.

post-5844-144598830015_thumb.jpg

Spent a couple hours throwing lures and checking out the weir with no success, Graham at borumba fishing store set me up with a shrimp trap and some servo prawns and some hints on how to go about catching some creek critters but told me there's not much about on account of the cold weather. didn't worry me too much cos it's such a nice spot and I had more than enough refreshments on hand to keep me occupied and content B)

Graham had advised that my best bet was to float a bait a couple feet deep rather than on the bottom where turtles, eels and catties would be pretty much all I would catch so I persisted for a few more hours on Saturday then gave up and just wanted to hook anything so I cut up some raw lamb off the bone of a leg joint and picked up a cattie, eel and turtle.....lol just as Graham said I would.... :blink:

Anyway soon after I was roused from a self induced stupor ( it was 11am after all :whistle: ) when my reel screamed with pure terror at the certain pain the little stradic was about to endure, I could feel the 6lb braid cutting the air with a whip-like sound that almost made me drop the rod and cover my ears and certainly the steel of the hook was glowing red from the strain that the creek beast inflicted upon my tackle :woohoo: :woohoo:

Yep, for the next three hours it was man against beast......shimano technology against 400 million years of evolution, culminating in one lone man's determination to tame all that lives and breathes or swims in the wilds of Yabba creek.

Not having a gaff or harpoon on hand somehow in the blur of action I managed to coax, or perhaps I "fish whispered" the fish creature into the enviro net where upon I could gaze upon it's magnificence and then return it to the waters to continue upon it's evolutionary journey.

post-5844-144598830029_thumb.jpg

Of course I had left the bragmat at home :evil: :evil: the one time I actually land something worthwhile and I can only guess it's length.......consertively estimated at 1.2 metres and probably round 20kg

That's how I roll B)

"glowing red from the strain that the creek beast inflicted upon my tackle "

LOL (maybe its just my dirty mind)

Hey Ted, see anyone can catch a 'toga up there. :silly:

Nice one, those creek monsters don't play fair, good effort getting it in the net.

Well done mate, that's a nice Toga, is that near the rock weir in Imbil? I've caught some nice Bass there!

Yeah mate, the first pic is taken from the weir....... I actually came across a fb entry you did last October when I was researching the area last week....... As you said in that report it's a bit hairy traversing the rock ledges, not a good idea after a few frothies so I stuck mostly to safer surrounds.

Awesome fish there Steve,well done mate.

I hope it was caught on your new Nordic.

Thanks lance.....I got it on my raider and a ci4 2500, woulda been nice to say I got it on the gunslinger but tbh I wouldn't back myself to have landed it on 4lb.

Archived