Kookaburra Park Sat 6/10/07

Feral

Ok, based on a brief discussion in another thread, how about a AFO night at Kookaburra Park when it warms up a bit?

I was thinking Saturday arvo and night 6/10/07. People reckon it should be warm enough then?

Thats about the only free day for me in October, (2 rallies, wifes birthday and the Awoonga trip later in the month), other wise sometime in November, perhaps the 17th? although that is getting awfully close to the Classic. (Maybe we can act all professional and call it a prefish?). :woohoo:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your thinking Feral:). I don't know how good it will be that early in Oct though. I'm of the opinion that it is a touch early for bities (the first date) but when do salmon start getting more active? I don't know much about salmon, I have only ever caught one and that was with my castnet! LOL some of our members keep proving that they are about regardless... Some yakkers to run baits out too would be most welcome!

maybee we could do both dates october as a trial and november as a serious prefish for the classic, my aim for thios summer is to nail a meter plus threadie on a lure.

possibly a prawnstar considering the prawns are thier favourite tucker.

one thing worth considering is the moon phase, last summer we did much better on full and new moons than on the quarters they seem to like the run of bigger tides.

Looking at the tides for that day. Low is at 12.00 ht .57 and High at 18.23 ht 2.11, These are Bris Bar so its + 3 hrs aprox.

So Low tide up there is about 3pm with a High at 9.30 pm . Anyone putting in boats would need to be about 1- 1.1/2 hrs either side of the low. Bugger of a ramp on bottom of tide.

But I'm in whatever day . Like catching Bullies.

Yeah, I was thinking of a late arvo launch, and fishing the night (no ski lice), but up for opinions! Particularly those whom know the area (thanks for the Ramp info Lozzel, thats important!)

Maybe both dates is a good idea Jeff, hopeful warmup, followed by serious prefish!

Found an older article by Schultzy called \" small bore shark fishing by neil schultz \" on fishnet dated 2/2/04 . I dont know how to post the actual link so you will have to look for it or maybe some kind hearted person will post the actual link. It is a really informanative read with lots of good info for new sharkers and to those who havent yet read it have a look at the link in sharking on our own site.

Two must reads before simmer.

Ray

thanks fellas that was a great read and good on ya neil well writen. i have one question for the guys who have landed one of these fellas, hook removal? how? and also neil metioned that they tend to get a bit angry in the boat. any tips on how to avoid the shark gettin a bit more then the bait? i have a small gaff that i will use on one as i would like to keep one as a one off to experience cleaning and preparing and eating a river shark. after that i do not have a net so will be grabbing the tail, so any tips on handling this creature would be great as god gave me 10 fingers and toes means i must need them and would like to keep them.

obone wrote:

Thanks for that Obone and Ellicat and Krisco I always carry a priest in the boat for pacifing large bities such as sharks and eels.

Yiu would be amazed how quickly a shark can destroy a landing net so i always immediatly drop it to the floor and dong it with the priest.

Ray

I have pulled in small sharks by the tail. Dehooked if possible or cut the wire close as possible to the hook. Put them back in the water and hold the tail , They will kick and swim away ,happily.

Bigger sharks ,leave them in the water and just cut the wire . Unless you want a pic then , grab them by the tail take a pic and let them go. Works for me. ;)

Just becarefull when they are on the floor of your boat. The last big bugger bit through my anchor rope. :angry:

if you grab the by the tail wrist be a little carefull they can pretty much curl back on you at least the smaller ones say up to a metre i flip them on their back it seems to make them a bit drousy i use a clip where my swivel and plastic coated wire meet not a pre bought trace normally a metre plus wire. i then slide a piece of plastic conduit down over the trace untill it hits the bend of the hook i pull the trace tight and smack the tube smartly knocking the hook out this is all perfect world but its worked mostly so far and i do normally file back the barb a bit depending on hook or use circle hooks and pliers is easy. one big nono is using stainlees itll last in the fish for ever:(

• 3 weeks later...

Archived