Kookaburra Park Sat 6/10/07

Feral

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i had a great night guys. thanks.

unfortunatelly more was caught in the cast net than on the rods.

Malcolm managed some huge bony bream in the cast net to tempt a bully with but to no avail.

Mal also managed to throw his brand new unused pliers over the side of the boat when he thought a little baby catfish was going to jab him.

oh wel, at least we had cold beer.

Fisher_90 wrote:

How did u get it back and what reel did u have on it?

Found a 15gm slug in bottom of tackle box.And tied it onto 30kg braid in shark rod and kept in casting till I caught it.

When I finally got it there was a 27cm bream on line.

What made it worse it happened on turn of tide whilst boat was swinging around and wasnt shure where it went over.

I just looked down and said where is the loomis?

Reel is a okuma 1a20 inspira that is currently soaking in a basin of fresh water.

Ray

Got there at 4:00pm Jamie was flicking some plastics, Malcolm and Shortie were playing mechanic whilst Booty gave advice.

Started the BBQ, ended up with 16 AFO members there for a very relaxing arvo BBQ, then we hit the water about 5:30 to get serious.

We managed to get quite a few bream, biggest being 35cm by Alex (as usual). Probably boated 10 or 12 bream between us overnight, only 1 or 2 undersize. Ray kept the 2 biggest, the others became livies or went back (I like bream as livies!)That catch is pretty amazing really considering ALex and I were using 40lb braid with 20lb leader, using 4/0 big mouth hooks (looking for Salmon not bream!)

Alex had a run on a livie about 8ish, so it was all action until we realised the sod had taken the tail off the fish and missed the hook, was close, the missed hook was hanging free!

Thats when Ray turned around and said, where is my Loomis with this \"oh farq\" look on his dial!

As he said he trolled a slug for 3 hours until he hooked the line, not only got the Loomis and okuma reel back, but the 27cm Bream was still on the other end!

Scored heaps of catfish, they were pretty quiet early in the night, but between 2 and 3am every time I dropped a prawn on the river out came a catty, ( I was a piker, had a snooze between 3 and 4:30)

Just after dawn the biggest pike eel

I ever saw cruised under the boat, it would have been as round as my arm. I caught a smaller one a bit later, gave about 2 seconds consideration to saving it for Terry, then I thought he knows where to get em!

Fished through until about 9:30 and the ski lice showed up, after taking a wave from the D#ckhead over the side of Ray's boat, decided it was time to go home. I had hopes of \"adjusting the dickheads trailer in the parking lot, but to many witnesses (whoops did I say that?)so lifes to short to be agro, so toddled of home.

Stopped in at Annaconda at Enogera on the way home, covered in fish blood and guts, 3 day growth, 2 days since I had a shower, dont think some of the clientele had seen a real fisho before :) .

Got spotted in my Brisbane River Fishing classic shirt by one of the Anaconda blokes, a mate of Nastminds apparently, had a good discussion about this years event.

:laugh: :laugh: Man you are sooooooooo lucky Ray, I would have cracked the sh*ts and gone home after losing a loomis!!:laugh: :laugh: Good on ya for persevering and eventually finding it. The fishing gods rewarded you with that bream for your effort;)

Well done fellas, sounds like a pretty good time was had.

I saw the weather forecast and thought it was going to storm out, so made other plans ... was spewing when the rain didn't appear. Sounds like you all had fun.

I christened the Yak this morning down at Pimpama, a small bream, and my PB flathead ... look's like Lee rubbed some of his fishing luck onto the kayak for me!

will post a proper report later on.

Good to see the AFO crew getting together for a bit of fun yet again.

Ray must have been inspired by recent posts about lost combos and sunken treasure, wish I had been there to see it unfold.

Pity the sharks didn't come to the party, oh well, there will be more attempts to come I'm sure.

With any luck I will be back to fishing fit for the next one.

Bring on the Nov charter!

Rocket

Brian D wrote:

Yeap good one ya's. Did you notice Glenda borrowed Lauries pink shoes.:woohoo:

Lets do another one in Jan 08 around the full moon.

Sounds like a plan Brian! I'll take a swag for myself next time, Ray and Alex slept half the night on air mats, in sleeping bags, I only had my plastic raincoat, and my jumper the esky leaked ice water on! on a 1\" thick foam matress

They certainly slept better than I !

another classic AFO outing credit where credits due karma coming , exelent bbq as usual feral , Ray for them home made snags also shortie for a seat on the boat and the marinated baby octapie. in all an interesting session pity the fish weren't intersted lol I can scratch kooka pk off my to do list

Arrived at arround 3pm launched and went to near Kohlo ck, Put out the pots and sank some baits.

No fish to speak of, only the usual catties.Glenda lnded some around the 40+ mark and Pike eels just under the 1mtr.

I had one good run that wouldnt stop or turn, drag was set tight on the 6kg, eventuly spat the hook.

Went back for the BBQ had a chat with friends and a good feed .

Back to the same spot this time with Kriso,where we proceded to reduce the number of Pike by 10. the biggest I got was 1.5+mts .

Pulled out at 9.pm and went home.

We went back at 6am this morn to retreive a crabpot that went AWOL last night. Picked it up only to have 3 of the smallest crabs I've seen. Had a fish on the corner near Ray & co and pulled the pin when the \"D***eads\" arrived.

Feral, Got a bit back on that bayliner when we left , He was sitting close to the bank and was washed by a wake wave into the trees.

Jeff: you were lucky , we didnt get any \"Mozzies\"

Anyhow we had a good time and will do it again.

Terry: thought of keeping them for for 1/2 a sec, then said NO that slimy mongrel is not coming into my boat.

After camping near Texas last week, headed for home around 10:30am nursing a bit of a sick car. Got back to home around 3:30/4pm and quickly unpacked the camping gear from car and boat, said hello to wife, repacked fishing gear etc and headed back out to Ippy stopping only to fill the boat's fuel tank. Arrived just in time to miss the meet and greet and bbq:( Said a quick hello to booty and met Polyphonic.

Poly and I jumped aboard and headed after the rest of the crew. A couple of quick hellos and one photo pose as we went past and then stopped for a quick meet with shortie's crew. Malcolm had just picked up a few large boneys for live bait and sent one our way. Cheers for that:)

Jamie used the boney and I set the tail section of a pike eel I'd kept for bait. As Polyphonic said before we decided early on to target catties. So from that point of view it was a successful night:laugh:

Fished until 3am and then headed back, quietly waving at someone who was awake on Ray's boat (didn't want to wake the others). Couldn't tell who it was in the dark:blush:

Anyway had a good time, Poly's great company and we shared quite a few laughs. Thanks for the organising Feral. Will try to make the next as well.

Must be getting old - I was shattered Sunday. Couldn't even be bothered making a post :pinch:

PS Was glad I filled the tank too.....must have used at least a thimbleful:blink:

Archived