Custom boat builders in particular "Adams Marine Mechanical"

tradie

Hey all looking to upgrade my boat and just throwing around ideas. Ive been searching on the usual boat sites and have come across one boat builder in particular Adam's Marine Mechanical" at Hervey Bay. Its got me now thinking should I just have a boat built that way I can customise the boat to suit my needs and wants. Ill post some pics below of boats im thinking about. I love crabbing so the centre consol idea is really starting to grow on me.

Any way my question is has anyone out there ever delt with Adams Marine Mechanical or know of anyone that has. Ive searched all over the net and cant really find any reviews on their work, and how the boats perform??? Also if anyone out there has delt with any other boat builders and can recommend them please post details below.

The types im looking at from Adams Marine are the 7, 8.3 and even 9m centre consol boats. They are all just hull with trailer only sales they do offer motor and set up packages but I was thinking around the 7 or 8m boat and source a motor 150--200hp?? Not sure have sent them an email to get full specs on their boats and what they recommend. I was thinking for around $45,000 boat and motor and I pretty much have everything else aready to fitout?? They offer ten year HULL MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY and with a new motor 5 year warranty. Whats your thoughts please........

post-5874-1445988333_thumb.jpg

This is the 7m boat hull only $22.000

post-5874-144598833307_thumb.jpg

This is the 8m boat hull only $28.000

post-5874-144598833311_thumb.jpg

This is the 9m boat they have this as a fully set up option but Id just be after the hull

/>http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats/Power-Boats/AdNumber=D1357201861932?HotlistView=true&ExternalHotlink=1

/>http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats/Power-Boats/AdNumber=D1357201455701?HotlistView=true&ExternalHotlink=1

/>http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats/Power-Boats/Power-Boats/AdNumber=D1357201861812

Yep good boats and great value. I have been offshore with Ted several times and the boat has handled everything thrown at it with ease.

Build quality is pretty good. The welds are solid if not the prettiest. I believe Ted had a few minor teething issues, but nothing major and they came to the party for him.

I am really happy with the boat and they are great value. You are more than welcome to come out far a spin one time and get a first hand feel for it. I have heard a rumor from another boat builder in Cairns regarding Adam's Marine which you would need to check out before putting down a deposit. I never take to much notice of another business caught in a competitive guote situation. Give me a call 0407118915

I am really happy with the boat and they are great value. You are more than welcome to come out far a spin one time and get a first hand feel for it. I have heard a rumor from another boat builder in Cairns regarding Adam's Marine which you would need to check out before putting down a deposit. I never take to much notice of another business caught in a competitive guote situation. Give me a call 0407118915

Hey mate another AFO member has kindly already private messaged me and given me the heads up on what might be going on with the business, im pretty keen to head up there for the day and go check it out but once I know they are going to be sticking around......

Thanks for the offer to check out your boat mate I certainly will take you up on that offer once I know they will be around to build mine.

I would be very careful with what you choose, Ted's boat is a weapon and i wouldnt think twice about buying one on boat quality and build quaity, value for money they are pretty much the value for money builder around,

With regards to the situation the company is in , i wouldn't touch one with a barge pole! Be careful before laying any deposits

Callum

I would be very careful with what you choose, Ted's boat is a weapon and i wouldnt think twice about buying one on boat quality and build quaity, value for money they are pretty much the value for money builder around,

With regards to the situation the company is in , i wouldn't touch one with a barge pole! Be careful before laying any deposits

Callum

Cheers for the heads up mate im now fully aware of whats going on there and shall be extremely careful. There wont be a dollar change hands till we have a contract on the build. Im really keen to go check these boats out. Can anyone recommend any other similar boat builders I could check out

its not so much the fact they wont build you a boat its that you may find them non existant when it comes to your warranty in a few years time, if the company changes hand then you wont have a waranty.

Ive been lead to believe that their master boat builder is now at ULTIMATE BOATS in cairns

Search them on facebook!

wat size you looking for?

its not so much the fact they wont build you a boat its that you may find them non existant when it comes to your warranty in a few years time, if the company changes hand then you wont have a waranty.

Ive been lead to believe that their master boat builder is now at ULTIMATE BOATS in cairns

Search them on facebook!

wat size you looking for?

Cheers Mate yea im kinda going to wait it out a little and see just what happens, not sure if they were to change hands if there workshop would be full of all new staff because then I wont really be able to compare their work to what was produced before.....

Im thinking at least the 7m boat but would have a peek at the 8m. Being a mad keen crabber it would be nice to be able to rig the pots at home and have then all set up on the boat where as now space is precious on my boat.

Callum

Cheers for the heads up mate im now fully aware of whats going on there and shall be extremely careful. There wont be a dollar change hands till we have a contract on the build. Im really keen to go check these boats out. Can anyone recommend any other similar boat builders I could check out

Just be aware that a contract in the marine industry means nothing.

There is no protections in place for the boating industry like there is with motor vehicles.

You can have a dozen contracts but if the company fails and closes its doors you have no leg to stand on.

You will lose your boat and any monies paid on it.

If it was me right now,I would not be looking at them.

You must also think of the warranty side of things and if they will be around to make a claim in a year or three.

Cheers Lance I guess ill just keep searching but im pretty glad I posted on here and many people replied and saved me perhaps a very costly mistake. Thank you to all for the heads up and if anyone comes across a quality boat builder feel free to post up details as I continue my searches

Many thanks all!!!!

I would be very careful with rumors though because this rumor has come from Ultimate boats in Cairns that is in a competitive quote situation on Callum's boat and 5 others with Adam's. Some incentive to drive the competition down. Make sure you check out the source and get it from the horse's mouth. I personally have not heard this but am going to ring them to discuss. It would surprise me given the amount of boats they where churning out. If you are concerned I would give Barney's Marine up there a call. Adam used to work for them as a mechanic. They do supply Adam's Marine with their motors but he is a good bloke and and is a straight shooter.

I would be very careful with rumors though because this rumor has come from Ultimate boats in Cairns that is in a competitive quote situation on Callum's boat and 5 others with Adam's. Some incentive to drive the competition down. Make sure you check out the source and get it from the horse's mouth. I personally have not heard this but am going to ring them to discuss. It would surprise me given the amount of boats they where churning out. If you are concerned I would give Barney's Marine up there a call. Adam used to work for them as a mechanic. They do supply Adam's Marine with their motors but he is a good bloke and and is a straight shooter.

Cheers Ted thanks for that advice mate shall follow up these leads and go from there, sure do like the look of the boats at Adam's Mechanical. But yea certainly will keep an open mind. Shoot me a private message and let me know what you hear when you call them thanks mate

wouldn't wanna launch a glass boat of some dodgy rubbly ramp somewhere that you dont know whats beneath you!

Haha and the can of worms has been opened. Haines mate I have thought about a glass boat certainly are a quieter ride thats for sure but ive decided on the plate boat as ill always have crab pots banging around and any marks just add character. Guess it all comes down to what kind of fishing you will be doing most. I like the look of the bare metal

haha, not sure that was an educated response pancakes, yep plate is more robust for sure, but how many boat ramps do you use where your not sure whats there or for that matter whats up river from it, we dont live in the northern territory and most people will be using the well established ramps around brissy, in saying that ive been in glass boats launched from beaches, and shockin ramps up north and the same applies to both, In areas with big tidal flow plate is great. but I dont think boat ramps is a great argument for wether you get a glass boat or not.

haha, not sure that was an educated response pancakes, yep plate is more robust for sure, but how many boat ramps do you use where your not sure whats there or for that matter whats up river from it, we dont live in the northern territory and most people will be using the well established ramps around brissy, in saying that ive been in glass boats launched from beaches, and shockin ramps up north and the same applies to both, In areas with big tidal flow plate is great. but I dont think boat ramps is a great argument for wether you get a glass boat or not.

Yea mate for me its simple I crab alot, and usually just fish while keeping watch on my pots. For me I dont wanna be banging pots on the side of a glass boat possibly chipping the sides scratching the fibre glass and then over time im sure dirt and mud and so on would stain those scratches. Just personal choice

Might just be my eyes but they don't seem to have many side ribs... If you are having it built to you spec I would request more than these pics show just to be sure...

you have eye for detail, B)

i think you are correct there could be more internal chine to gunwhal ribs added.Full cabin boats generaly have more ribs to take the added wieght of the cabin siting on/above the gunwhals.I think many manufactures are deliting the amount of side wall ribs in the open style boats and gaining ridgidity back in the sides with the use of the storage gutter running length ways along the side internaly.

plate boats are awsome work horses.OH and eddie my tinnie blew yours away comin home from bleakleys in that chop the other day :P maybe you should get a draw sting for ya hat so next time when i pass ya i dont blow it off :kiss: :lol:

I think teds tinnie is a weapon,

Hahahaha classic, mate that boat of yours would handle just about anything I reackon, I was watching it eating up the chop, Ive driven teds boat too and it handles like a dream. (not sure if he remembers me taking it as he was fairly rocky) As long as the wieght and balance is right, other good thing about plate (except in micks but i think thats by choice ;) ) you can go smaller horse power for the same results.

We'll have to start calling your boat slow eddie if the tinnies are blowing you away

Might just be my eyes but they don't seem to have many side ribs... If you are having it built to you spec I would request more than these pics show just to be sure...

you have eye for detail, B)

i think you are correct there could be more internal chine to gunwhal ribs added.Full cabin boats generaly have more ribs to take the added wieght of the cabin siting on/above the gunwhals.I think many manufactures are deliting the amount of side wall ribs in the open style boats and gaining ridgidity back in the sides with the use of the storage gutter running length ways along the side internaly.

plate boats are awsome work horses.OH and eddie my tinnie blew yours away comin home from bleakleys in that chop the other day :P maybe you should get a draw sting for ya hat so next time when i pass ya i dont blow it off :kiss: :lol:

I think teds tinnie is a weapon,

ok - how Rumors can start especially when a sales person is trying to sell you a boat. I spoke with Neal from Adam's Marine and the rumor is false. Yes the business is up for sale however this is for health reasons of one of the principles and not for any other reason. Businesses are sold all the time and when dealing with a small company including Ultimate boats there is no guarantee they will still be operating to claim on a warranty. Any person buying the business will have the warranties transferred with sale/purchase.

There is a lot of history here and is probably a case of a disgruntled employee and a over zealous sales person who needs to be very careful with his representations. The person in case came to Harvey bay to purchase a boat and it was probably at this time he poached the boat welder. I would rather myself buy a boat made in Harvey bay in a factory than a boat made in cairns in an outside back yard arrangement.

Good luck mate - give me a call if you want a chat - 0407 118 915

What makes a good boat?

If the specs and build quality meets the demands of the buyer then its a good buy for him/her..... so I think unless you have actually owned the same boat it is very hard to comment on if it is good or not.

Saying all that, the comment about the lack of horizontal stringers is a concern to me. I did a years worth of research on boat design and I went for Formosa, one of the reason is they have fully welded horizontal and vertical stringers. Some say the welds looked ugly, but God I say they are huge and over engineered - good in my book. I would be interested to hear what the engineer who designed their boats would say to the lack of stringers....?

Crazywalrus seems to have used his quite a bit so would be the best person to take council on this brand.

For me...I just sold my Formosa because I have another mouth to feed and a house to buy, on reflection for $30K the guy that bought it got a bloody bargain and I would buy another Formosa in a heartbeat.

My 2 cents

Bryan

The current trend for plate boats is to use less side stringers.

The reason for this is most plate boats now have sealed decks and when the plate floor is welding in it gives the strength to the side sheets for the full length of the boat.

Too many side stringers causes a lot of buckling of the sheet alloy which then needs a lot of work bogging up and creating areas that can crack and look very unsightly and costly due to warranty claims.

yes that's if you have a fully sealed deck! but if you don't you need that support........

Furthermore the Plate vs Glass boat debate fascinates me.

Unless you own a 8m AMM Plate boat you can never compete with the superior ride of fiberglass - period.

A good comparo was my 5.2m Formosa center console vs my mates 5.5m American Edgewater center Console.

I only need a 90 to power mine along and was way faster compared to his Yammie 115.....

However, when the bay started to turn ferrel his extra weight came into its own and I remember one particular trip through the bar off to boat rock where I made a mental note.......the Fibreglass ride is insanely more comfortable.

I would sometimes come home from a big trip and I would have three teeth missing due to punishment dished out by the bay.

ANY boat is a compromise though.....

I burnt less fuel, mine was easier to tow and get on and off the trailer, he had to be extra careful not to chip the gelcoat.... the list goes on.

I have come to the conclusion that if you are a bay/outside fisherman go glass, if you are an estuary/bay guy then go plate.....

And if you are like me that can't afford a boat right now get a HOBIE!!!! :P

The original post was regarding the Boats from Adam's Marine. Not a debate on glass versus Plate. I think Tradie fully understands the benefits with either type and has chosen the correct boat for his needs. I personally do not look after boats that well so a glass boat would be useless to me. The plate boat without paint is the correct choice for me. There is more to ride when buying something. I use my boat a lot and with my kids the cost of running the boat is a major consideration as well.

a well built PLATE ALLY BOAT does not have side ribs. as said fully welded floor ;) al

Archived