Duck Ragu...

Angus

Well this is not "seafood" per se... However it does involve a water loving animal. Some AFOers who attended the 2011 Winter Camp may appreciate the revised version of the Duck i cooked then :)

Seal the skin side first while adding some ginger and garlic to the bare flesh. I also throw in some whole spring onions at this point. No butter or oil needed as the rendered duck fat serves perfectly.

post-63-144598835012_thumb.jpg

Turn the breasts when skin is nice and crispy as pictured. Add the stalks of the spring onion diced up and a dash of soy (i use this instead of salt).

post-63-14459883502_thumb.jpg

Add black fungi (or Shi take if you cant get them) and swiss brown mushrooms, thyme and rosemary, 1/3 bottle of heavy red (Cab Sav, Shiraz etc), and a knob of butter.

post-63-144598835027_thumb.jpg

Turn down the heat and let simmer/slow cook for 2 hours.

Close to the end of 2 hours make you pasta. We just used a simple pasta recipe with Spelt flour.

post-63-144598835032_thumb.jpg

Cut thickly or more technically in a "Papperdelle" style.

post-63-144598835037_thumb.jpg

Trim up some asparagus. I half shallow fry half steam these. Just use a small pan, small ammount of oil on a medium heat and put the lid on.

post-63-144598835042_thumb.jpg

Cook the pasta "Al dente" (about 3/4). This is essential even if you don't like Al dente pasta as I add the pasta to the pan with the rest of the ingredients and simmer for a further few minutes. This lets the pasta suck up heaps of the rich strong flavor created by the duck.

post-63-144598835047_thumb.jpg

Serve! Only addition bot previously mentioned is the Parmesan cheese on top. Don't need a lot though as there is plenty of flavor.

post-63-144598835053_thumb.jpg

All that is is left is to crack another Red, as the remaining 2/3's that did not go into the pasta has been well and truly consumed by this point and enjoy.

Archived