Birkdale Canals

tomca

Had a couple of hours to sneak out for a fish today.

Wind was up so decided to hide in a canal somewhere, and Birkdale was closest. Water was pretty cold and first pontoon I cast at, let the plastic sink to the bottom slowly and got hit and dusted pretty quick on 3lb so rerigged and next pontoon I let the plastic sink to the bottom and a few small hops and my line starts moving towards me, and after a couple of sluggish runs I slide the net under a stinky poo eater.

post-1039-144598839957_thumb.jpg

A few pontoons later another, same style in the same sort of shadowy angle on the water. All the hits occurred on the shadow edge of the sunny side of the pontoons.

post-1039-144598840307_thumb.jpg

And on the way back to the car was trolling one of Bommies smaller lures and got whacked hard and this fish put up a better fight than the poo eaters and I f-ed up with the net and lost a nice squire in the high 30's at the yak.

post-1039-144598840317_thumb.jpg

And it was blowing up a gale today. I see people drivel about paddle yaks are just as good as pedal powered ones, but when there is wind like that, I really cursed myself for not making the effort to throw the Hobie up on the roof. Would have been a hell of a lot easier out there, and fewer dropped fish too.

Yeah Callum, I launched at the park at the end of Commodore Drive. The squire hit just at the first branch off the point of the rocks. And even though the water was a bit murky I fished 3lb fluro straight through and enough of a HWS jig head to make the plastic spiral slowly to the bottom. Deadsticking for ages with small twitches was the only way to get a bite. Shrimp and minnow shapes worked well, but only scented ones got the hits.

Bommie called them poo eaters on my Facebook this morning and I kinda think it suits them.

Inspired were we? :kiss: nice session mate, but I can't agree with your drivel about paddle yaks :P

It was the same yesterday, really cold and dead sticking for a long time and D grubs worked ever so slowly back to the yak brought results. Did manage a bream and the tailor on a greedy guts though ;)

Yeah Ant, I figured if you could catch one bream, I'd have no dramas :P

If I'd taken the Hobie, I could have held my position and dreadsticked longer for more bites. And the paddle gets in the way when you are trying to fish. Much of a muchness on a calm day but with big wind paddle yaks suck balls in comparison.

Archived