Advice to prospective deckies

Rocket75

Advice to prospective deckies:

Over the years there have been a number of helpful and informative threads about what you can expect and what is expected of you as a deckie.

One area is often overlooked : apparel.

I have learnt from personal experience that your choice of clothing can make a large impact on how much you enjoy your time on the water as a deckie.

Most of the vessels that I have deckied on have been tinnies.

In a lot of instances tinnies have limited or non-existent seating for the deckie (and in some instances the skipper too).

You will generally find yourself clinging to a casting platform or bench seat with nothing between your coccyx and the hard embrace of the boat than the amount of padding you naturally carry on your buttock cheeks.

If you have been in one of these highly functional but not overly comfortable craft then you will know that when the boat is travelling at a fair click a bit of chop will mean for a jarring and painful ride.

The deckie, often perched at the bow, uses whatever hand holds are available together with straining leg muscles to limit the amount of time spent air born as the skipper tries to either avoid or hit the majority of the waves (depending on if you have thus far out-fished him).

Fact one: as we all know, what goes up must also come down.

It is also a well known fact that the male of our species has some fairly delicate “tackle†tucked in his shorts. Balls, nuts, gonads, testes…call them what you will.

When you add these two facts you may see where the possibility of pain is evident.

Many, if not all men will have at some stage in their life managed to sit on one or both of their nuts.

Without doubt this in itself is a painful experience that will suck the air from your lungs and bring a tear to the eye of the tuffest of men.

Just imagine the added pain if your nuts are slammed between your gravity driven body and the upward thrusting force of the entire boat?

Yes I can just see men everywhere reading this and crossing their legs or vowing never to board a tinny again.

But fear not, the answer can be as simple as your choice of jocks.

When dressing for a day on the boat think hard before stepping into your reg-grundies.

A tired old pair of undies that offer limited or no support to the scrotum is almost sure to end in tears.

The same can be said of a pair of loose boxers.

While you may consider these to be trendy or comfortable, they offer your gonads very little support and add considerably to the chances of a smashed pair.

So take this advice from a seasoned veteran, go for something nice and tight with little room for droppage. Your nuts will thankyou for it.

;)

What did Ryan do to you the other day?

Ryan had a seat and offered me one too, it was only when I was silly enough to not use it that I remembered past experiences ;)

Ha ha ha!!! The boat actually has more pace when we are both at the back. It was a good day on the water mate, sorry about your tackle lol!!!

What did Ryan do to you the other day?

Ryan had a seat and offered me one too, it was only when I was silly enough to not use it that I remembered past experiences ;)

Ha ha ha!!! The boat actually has more pace when we are both at the back. It was a good day on the water mate, sorry about your tackle lol!!!

No problems mate, I was wearing a suitable pair of Rio for the occasion so my tackle was just fine :lol:

haha great thread rocket - the funny thing I have done this on numerous occasions in the old boat on the Seat. Not a problem since I go the new boat.

Probably cause you rarely sit on your boat, especially when your moving

Nah, It's because he lost them on SPB just after he got the boat :woohoo: :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for reading my effort at some humorous yet practical advice.

It should be noted that the likely hood of this injury is greater in the warmer months so take care this summer.

There may well be similar problems encountered by female deckies that are also apparel related. Maybe the use of a sports bra is recommended? That area is out of my area of expertise so I'll leave that to one of our lady members to expand upon.

It should be noted that the likely hood of this injury is greater in the warmer months so take care this summer.

There may well be similar problems encountered by female deckies that are also apparel related. Maybe the use of a sports bra is recommended? That area is out of my area of expertise so I'll leave that to one of our lady members to expand upon.

Never a truer word said, Mr Rocket. You don't want the ladies tender parts caught between their legs and the seat ... visions of grandma standing on the end of her un-rolled lady-ware.

Never a truer word said, Mr Rocket. You don't want the ladies tender parts caught between their legs and the seat ... visions of grandma standing on the end of her un-rolled lady-ware.

big thanks to our resident expert on "lady-ware" : kreel :lol:

Archived