Lazy Wednesday at Dunwich

tomca

I loaded the yak onto the 9 o'clock barge :blush: and headed over for a flick around Dunwich.

post-1039-144598844396_thumb.jpg

Conditions were great and the water clarity had me seeing the bottom in 8m of water.

post-1039-144598844439_thumb.jpg

Hooked a big tiger squid over the weedy bottom in front of the swimming enclosure and managed not to get any squid ink on the yak :)

Worked the rock wall along the causeway for a few rat bream and a pretty little fish

post-1039-144598844428_thumb.jpg

I sight casted at some small kingies while chasing some bream and not surprisingly got owned big time around the structure in no time.

Went around the corner to the south of Dunwich and was firing long casts across the flats and got a few nice bream and a luderick, all on the crackerjack.

Saw a pack of metre long kingies cruise up behind my yak, so picked up my 20lb outfit and dropped a 3" paddletail under the yak and sat still. The fish soon saw it and raced under the yak and hit that hard the shaft the spool sits on bent from the impact and now I have a 4000 size reel with a tight spot on the retrieve and a wobbling spool. Headed home on the 3 o'clock barge quite happy.

Fantastic day on the water, lost a few lures, broke several hooks and destroyed a perfectly good reel in a manner that still makes me smile.

And there was only one other boat fishing over that way all day.

It was an Anaconda reel, so not big $$$. I use reasonable budget reels for my saltwater yakking, just upgrade the drag washers and grease in them. Then clean and grease them regularly. 20lb braid and 20lb leader with a fairly tight drag, learned my lesson there. Might buy a slightly better reel for the rod this time. I'll wait for a new model Stradic or Sol to hit the stores and pick up a good second hand "old" model cheaply from one of the Tackle Tragics on the forum :P

[attachment=54687]IMGP3286.JPG[/attachment]

The view from your yak is amazing..... I had no idea you sat so high up in an outback? :silly:

Nice report too mate!

I was thinking the view from the barge is similar to sitting in a new Pro Angler with the lawn chair on it

Toonie:

Gonna try and organise one on a weekend with a few yaks and head over AFO style. Keep an eye on the going fishing notices next month

Ryan:

wouldn't have happened with an Exist loaded with 2lb :P

Ha ha ha, My line would have busted just from seeing their shadows in the water. As fun as 2lb is, I really don't think there is a need for it in the Brissy river or surrounds, it's more a novelty. Soon enough, I will trade up to some 4lb fireline I think.

Can't bust a handline, Tom. Pop it over a broomstick in the r/holder. Put a glove on.

Less than $25 all up. No corrosion. No moving parts.

You young fellas that spend money on rods and reels are just showing off.

:lol::lol:

I'm not too sure i'd like to have a meter plus kingie effectively tied to one side of a kayak i was on unless i had a Pfd and wetsuit in place! :( haha

Archived