Whiting at the Southport Spit

Daryl McPhee

I have found that the Southport Spit is one of the many land based locations in the Broadwater where you can reliably and consistently find a feed of tasty whiting. I had a bit of fish their last night. Although at various timed there was a plague of undersized whiting, small sand crabs, bogans and stingrays, I managed a decent couple of feeds for the family. The quality was down on what I had been getting at Runaway Bay – mostly economy class fish, with only one business class passenger, but they will be tasty nonetheless. I fished mostly with 00 and 000 sinkers as the fish were in very close to the shore. I have found if conditions allow it, these very small sinkers are often the key to getting a good feed of whiting from the shore.

post-8391-144598845284_thumb.jpg

post-8391-144598845294_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. I can see how that rig will work well Avitir. I think I've seen that lure in the BCF car park on friday nights.

Waldo. I use both Alveys and small eggbeaters. The latter only because these days I often have my three year old with me and he can't use an Alvey yet, and I can't be bothered changing reels when I go by myself. The Alveys do get better casting distance. You are right about the current and I will change up sinker size if necessary. I was about to do that last time because for the first half an hour I didn't get a decent bite, and then I got the first legal fish only about five metres from the shore.

Archived