soft plastics setup?

Kiwi_pete

Hi all im looking at getting into soft plastic fishing but hvnt much clue on what rod ,reel setup to get and what line i should use.

Ive already stocked up with the hooks and plastics so if anyone has any good tips on getting into flicking soft plastics or with getting rod,reel setups (on a budget) i would love the help

cheers all

Peter

p.s if anyone would have the patience to teach me how to fish plastics that would be awsome aswell :whistle:

Any small sized reels will do it, lighter line casts further with light jigheads mono is useable but you will feel more with braided lines 6lb fireline is a good start imo. If you are fishing landbased then a 7ft+ rod would be my choice for extra distance in the cast.

Whats your budget and do you fish landbased or boat based?

Make sure you use flurocarbon leader. Will increase ur hookup rate.

As for technique...the skies the limit. But as a starting point, all I do is cast it out, let it sink to the bottom, wait for the line I go slack and give the rod tip 2-3 short sharp lifts and wind in the slack. Wait for the lure to hit the bottom again and repeat the process.

You can also give it one long slow lift to get the sp off the bottom and wind the slack in. That works better with lures that have paddle tail, squidgee wrigglers or squidgee fish.

Also always watch ur line! A fish having a crack at the lure can sometimes be not felt through the rod. So watch the line and look for any twitches in the line

Mix it up and see what works for you.

Something similar to this will be able to land all your bread and butter species plus more:

7 foot 2-4kg rod

2500 size reel

Start with 6 or 8lb fireline and 4-10lb leaders (preferrably flurocarbon)

Try to fish as light a leader as possible, you'll get a lot more bites.

Id also recommend a couple packs of Damiki Armour Shads - 3" oxblood/moebi colour. You'll be able to catch all your bream, flatties and trevs etc etc on these plastics.

Goodluck with it and be sure to throw up some reports

Budget?

You can get shimano Sienna combos for less than $100. Add some 4-6lb fireline and 6lb leader and you are in business. Next up from that you can look at the shimano raider rods, very nice for the price and match it with a Shimano Sedona or similar. Same like and id look at the 1000 or 2500 size reel.

I would start off here mate - Will get you started and there is nothing wrong with the reel or rod.

CAT702SPIN Sienna 2500FD 7' 2pc 2-4kg
/>http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=7200

Have to agree get some small jig heads ranging from 1 or 2 hook size with 1/16 to 1/4 weight and a couple of packs of Armour Shads. They are my go to plastic for bream.

Line - my favorite is the sunline super pe either 6lb or 10lb. will cast well

would you guys say fishing plastics is more effective than bait or about the same? im looking into soft plastics as not doin too well using bait

you will catch more fish on bait hands down, but with soft plastics the sport is in tricking the fish to take the artificial. That said you will catch way more Flatties on Softplastics.

Hi all im looking at getting into soft plastic fishing but hvnt much clue on what rod ,reel setup to get and what line i should use.

Ive already stocked up with the hooks and plastics so if anyone has any good tips on getting into flicking soft plastics or with getting rod,reel setups (on a budget) i would love the help

cheers all

Peter

p.s if anyone would have the patience to teach me how to fish plastics that would be awsome aswell :whistle:

Mate where you based?

Ill take you for a flick a flick next weekend if you are keen?

Angus

I'll also put my hand up to try and get you onto some mate. I work during the week, however a night session is always on the cards. Nothing gets the confidence up on plastics like hooking up to some fish at nigth on them. My number is on my profile. Hopefully we will get a few.

Ryan.

Cookies combo would be a great little set-up to get into light plakkie flicking.

I'd suggest a fast action rod around 2-4kg (Berkley drop-shot is a great entry model), coupled with a 2000-2500 reel, some 6lb braid and matching flouro leader.

There's heaps of vids on YouTube to get you started on technique. Squidgie also have a series on DVD that's pretty good value these days. Worth checking out if you're serious about cluing yourself up. ;)

Here's a link to a little plastics session Sweresy and I had last year...

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGjVrZKLxlM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hey dude, I got a combo for sale if you want? Shimano symetre fj 1000 (mint condition)+ 4lb fins braid + Daiwa spellbinder. Chasing $200.

Kiwi I would be grabbing this.

From experience cookie keeps his gear immaculate and this really would be an IDEAL little combo to kick things off with :)

Angus

Have a search on youtube for how to use soft plastics, heaps of videos to show you some different retrieves for different plastics and locations. generally, I stick with letting the plastic hit the bottom, hopping 2 or 3 times then letting it sink all the way back down and winding in the slack line

hi pete. i buy cheap stuff. it still catches fish. my first good bay snap (and plenty after) was caught on a $17 c222 abu 2500 size reel on a $30 rod. i know a bloke who caught a nice snap on his kids $20 whiting combo. i always carry a spare reel in case of failure but haven't been let down by these reels yet. on the other hand i have these $100 & $150 reels sitting in a box awaiting repairs.

cheers for all the help guys greatly appreciated now im just trying to talk the mrs into letting me buy a rod setup apparently ive got enough rods and too many hobbies blasphemy i say can never have enough just shame never have enough money to do it all though.

Mate

I have just purchased a few rods and new gear!

I have a Shimano Starlo Stix 7"0 graphite rod with split butt in excellent condition and a Shimano Symetra 2500 for $150 - the Rod was $199. It was my go to combo for everything, flicking plastics for flatties, bream and everything else.

Perfect plastics starting point.

If you are keen PM me

Archived