A good sesh

cy1301

Hi guys,

After reading Youngy's report on the tarpons, ChrisC was itching to go look them. As I do not have to work today (for a change!!!), I agreed to a trip and he came around to mine at 3pm today. I wanted to try out the Pontoon 21 rod I bought from Zimman and the lure that stand out today was the Damiki blades.

Weather was good, got to the ramp at 3.30pm, 5 mins and we are at the spot we hope we would find these "flying fishes". Plenty showing on the sounder. Chris was using a smaller blade and was not getting to the bottom as we were fishing relatively deep. Therefore, he borrowed one of my Zamikis. He casted out and we were drifting into some red on the sounder and he is ONNNNNN!!!! ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ .... He was hoping for a tarpon as he really wanted one. The fish felt solid and was using the current to its advantage thus giving Chris a bit of beating. :lol::lol:

Chris finally won the tug of war and we were delighted to see a GT!!

post-9434-144598853343_thumb.jpg

A second drift through the same spot and he was on AGAIN! * :silly: :silly:

post-9434-144598852731_thumb.jpg

At the same time, there were a few bust ups around us. However the fishes took off as quickly as they showed up.

A few more drifts over the same spot produced nothing and we decided to move down river a bit and thats we both felt taps and Chris lost a fish. A quick throw back to the same spot and I was on! I thought it was another GT, and it was giving hell. I was trying out the St Croix matched with a Quantum Smoke I got from the US and it was going zzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz. At a first glimpse I thought it was a nice Salmon but it turned out to be a 55cm tailor!

post-9434-144598852739_thumb.jpg

post-9434-14459885275_thumb.jpg

We went back to the same spot and finally got into the mayhem of Tarpons. Every single cast I was practically getting a fish. They were so thick and everything that we threw at them, they took it.

post-9434-144598852757_thumb.jpg

post-9434-144598852767_thumb.jpg

I have landed a few tarpons by now and Chris kept losing his by the boat. He was losing lures too and oh, Chris, you still owe me a Damiki. *LOL* He kept on going and finally managed to land one and we took a pic on his camera so I do not have pics of him on mine.

I got to try out the Pontoon 21 rod and I must say I am impressed by this little rod. Its a 1-3kg rod and it has plenty of grunt. I matched it with a rarenium ci4 and its perfect.

post-9434-144598852775_thumb.jpg

Total today, Chris landed 2 GTs, 1 Tarpon, lost 6-8 tarpons and also lost 3 lures. I landed a Tailor, 5 tarpons and lost another 5 and also 3 lures. For a 2.5hr trip today, I must say we very happy with the results as I have my PB tailor at 55cm on a lure and my PB tarpon at 63cm.

Tight lines

Coen

Archived