Taking Fishing Gear O/S

Bullrout

Hey all...

Just a few q's to those well travelled... whats the go with taking your fishing gear oveseas, in this case the US.

I'll be taking three rods, those are ok coz they will will be in my rod tube.. but after reading a post on here a week or so ago about (insert name here) loosing half his SP's to customs, whether its worth me not taking my SP's (which would suck!)

ALso wondering if they would worry about my HB's and spinners/ etc, i spent alot on my lures and i dont want to lose them all to some customs officer!!

Ookay...can't talk about the US, but I have taken some gear overseas and the story generally goes something like this:

(1) Pack lures, hooks, essentially all sharps in your checked luggage - use hard, clear slimline tackle boxes if possible. This way they can really quickly have a look if they want without having to unpack then repack all your gear.

(2) Everything needs to be spotlessly clean - the first sign of any dirt, mud, etc and they're likely to confiscate the lot.

(3) Some SP's may not make it through if they're scented, so take care with this.

(4) Some countries will sting you for commercial quantity duties if you have more than a couple of packets of each type, and/or you have, say, an entire suitcase full of gear (yeah, I know, pretty crook!).

Hope this helps, good luck with the trip!

what ever tackle box you take make shure you put it in a cardboad box and seal it up to disguise it,tacle boxes have a tendency to dissapear in transit if it's obvious what they are.

i wouldn't bother taking SPs to the us they are cheap as over there, find out whats working where you plan on fishing and buy them there.

yeah, i think the SP's will need new homes... most are open and all are scented (gulps, squidgies etc) so i doubt they'll get thorugh. My tackle bag is a soft bag that fits the 4 flat clear lure boxes in it so they are easy seen through it. Ill give all my HB's and that a big clean before hand..

We're going over to work and live (indefinitly at this stage) so im definitly buying big over there as well!

Bullrout wrote:

yeah, i think the SP's will need new homes... most are open and all are scented (gulps, squidgies etc) so i doubt they'll get thorugh. My tackle bag is a soft bag that fits the 4 flat clear lure boxes in it so they are easy seen through it. Ill give all my HB's and that a big clean before hand..

We're going over to work and live (indefinitly at this stage) so im definitly buying big over there as well!

Great place i spent 2yrs in Canada and US in the 1980s leave all your gear in AUS and buy new stuff cheers you will have a ball

Post edited by: reelchippy, at: 2007/08/19 20:41

THe problem will be bringing back scented or salted sps.They will need a written statement from the manufacturer stating that they are not animal or vegetable origon.

Just been all through that they will njot accept that they are on sale here anyhow they said they want a frest statement for every batch as the composition may have changed.

The only hassle you could possibly have taking stuff into USA is if the sniffer dogs get a scent of dope on any of your stuff and then they really go to town on you.

Ray

Archived