Weekday fishing

tomca

Gonna throw this up to show Ant what he is missing with his 9-5 grind :P

Friday I had a late start so organised a sunrise session at Wello Point with one of the Obsession Fishing guys. He is allegic to kayaks, but still wanted to come, so I threw him in the Hobie and I paddled the Espri.

post-1039-144598861549_thumb.jpg

Conditions were horrendous and we tried hard to remain positive about the swell ;)

post-1039-144598861562_thumb.jpg

The action was less than slow and about an hour in Henry had a sweetlip in the esky.

I tried every trick I know and managed one undersize squire for my trouble. In desperation I started doing some random stuff and finally found what got them in the mood. I used a 1/8oz fine wire jighead rigged with a 4" Zman grub. This had a sink rate of about a foot per second and I was casting ahead of my drift and leaving the slack braid lying on the surface letting it sink to the bottom, which took about 20 seconds. Every second cast I was getting a good hit and landed 2 squire in the 35-40cm range pretty quickly. Not that quickly actually as i was fishing with my gunslinger loaded with 3lb.

post-1039-144598861571_thumb.jpg

Time to head in was fast approaching and with a decent feed in the esky we loaded up and headed back to get ready for work, leaving the fish biting and glassed out conditions :(

haha.. it was a beautiful morning on the water and what a way to start a friday heading in to a long weekend.

It was tough fishing but I'm glad I broke my donut.

Thanks again Tom for lending me your yak and even more so your Hobie.. I reckon I could get back in to yaks with one of those :D

Archived