Marlin (?) minimum legal size + fish I.D

Mgp1970

Just on livebait. The reel went off big time and I yanked the rod to set the hook, but instead it came out of its mouth. I then saw a large dark shape and thinking it was a Spaniard casted quickly in front of it and this time it was hooked. It then started to surface and jump and I then realized it was a marlin. Took me for a few laps around the boat before I was able to bring it alongside!!

Good fun and the first I have caught.

I have been out with a semi retired pro fisherman who targets Spaniards and spotted and have had some interesting times as well. Lucky to be living and working in a place that allows for this sort of fun :)

Yeah been to all the sites I can think of and have not seen it listed.

Still don't want to get a surprise if I actually ever come in with a bigger one, not that I am planning on targeting any!!!

Have sent an email to the Dept regarding the same question and yet to have a reply, not holding my breath either! :angry:

When I have emailed them they have actually been really good, pretty quick responses and if you put your address in the email they will send out all paper copies of the information you are asking. When they are a bit busy it will take a couple of days to get a reply.

Some of the members of AFO are fisheries and police so when they see your post I'm sure they will give you some better info.

Yes there is no legal size bleed them straight away and get them in a ice slurry if you can and they are top eating a fish that size i would not hesitate at taking for a feed i saw one caught next to me this weekend so there must be a few about i think its time to put the hack saw in the boat to remove the bills so they fit better into my big esky

Archived