Wavebreak Island Social Report oct 2012

tugger

Well we had fantastic weather for our social this weekend with 14 boats rolling up and 30 of the best people from AFO attending. Friday Brock, Kev and I got to the Island at 10 am and set up with Mick Fillet and his family beating us by a day.

There was a steady stream of boaties turning up through the day and into the early evening amounting to a good size crew for the camp. We pumped a few buckets of yabbies from the beach nearby and had a fish in the cool of the afternoon while having plenty of cold drinks.

post-4390-144598864156_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598864167_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598864172_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598864178_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598864183_thumb.jpg

Here's a few of our boats on the beach

post-4390-144598864189_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598864194_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598864199_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598864766_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598864772_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598864778_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598864783_thumb.jpg

The beach anchoring systems are all working well getting our boats in and out of deep water while standing on the beach

We started the camp fire when the sun went down and set up the circle of truth and lies and told all our fishing stories. My son Brock eye's lit up when he saw Kurt and Brad bringing even more firewood up into camp when they rolled up and he couldnt resist throwing whole pallets of thiers onto the fire which had the flames bringing down low flying seagulls.

The night went on and got a bit blury for me and i imagine a few others as i ended up drinking for about 14 hours so off to bed i went in the end so we could go fishing in the morning. One of the casualties

post-4390-144598864789_thumb.jpg

Saturday started with plenty of hangovers while we somehow climbed into our boats and went fishing offshore the weather was great and it was a smooth run for us out to the 24's straight out from the seaway. Afew snapper were coming into the boats in the AFO floatiller going by the reports over the radio and we managed only 1 ourselves before we moved back to the inshore cobia ground.

Here we set up on anchor sending down live yakkas and it wasnt long before our first hit but it never found the hook so the dead yakka was replace and sent down again. It disappeared after only a minute in the water so there was something under us so another yakka was sent down and this time Brock hooked up and it peeld some line on the 50lb gear. Soon though Brock fought it back to the boat and the gaff was placed to bring a nice cobia into the boat just going over the 100cm

post-4390-144598864205_thumb.jpg

BJ beside us only 40m away hooked up to a black marlin minutes after us catching the cobia not that Kev could see because he was hooked up to a monster fish on the other side of the boat at the same time so we described it to him while loudly wahooing everytime it jumped beside BJ's boat. Kev's fish just kept on keeping on and was eventually passed onto Mick fillets boat so they could chase it down but the fish evetually won the fight.

We left around 11am and went back to camp for lunch and a few cold drinks again and the kids emused themselves on the beach swimming, fishing, digging holes and what ever else they got upto on the beach. More Bfo crew turned up on the saturday and they were greeted and thrust into the activities

post-4390-14459886421_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598864217_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598864223_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598864228_thumb.jpg

Wavebreak Island bar with the keg beer supplied by BJ

post-4390-144598864794_thumb.jpg

Afternnon tea

post-4390-144598864234_thumb.jpg

Saturday in the cool of the afternoon serious beach fishing

post-4390-144598864239_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598864245_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598864255_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598864261_thumb.jpg

As the sun went down we lit the cap fire again and gathered around telling our new fishing stories of the day and prepared for the big spit roast dinner of 9 chooks 2 lamb roasts garlic breads roast potatoes roast pumkin followed by desert. Deseret was pavlova and 3 camp oven cooked puddings which were 2 butterscotch puddings and 1 apple cinamen pudding.

After dinner I got everyone to toast the cooks so we raised our glasses and thanked them for one of the best camp meals i have ever had and i've been around a while do this kind of thing. The nigh was as good as the one beofre but a bit shorter for me and i eventually trodded off to bed.

post-4390-144598864266_thumb.jpg

Sunday morning was a late start for me fishing and a few of us went to the cobia spot but Lance was the only one to manage a strike landing a shark. Back at camp the crews slowly started to head home and Mick and My boat were the last to leave reluctantly in the early afternoon.

If anyone else has photos add them here if you like especially if you have some of the saturday dinner as i missed taking some shots

post-4390-14459886425_thumb.jpg

Was a really good weekend yet again. I'm still learning to take pics when out so no brag pictures sorry!

I ended up heading out with Richard on the Friday. We got there the same time as Tugger at around 10AM. We had camp setup by 10:30AM and got into the drinking. After through some lines for whitting with out success I found my comfy chair and drank a few of regulated's home brew beer. By about 6 PM I was asleep in my chair as Tuggers pic of me confirms. Not sure what time, but I was tackled of my chair by our resident pro wrestler, and no, not Garry! All in good fun. :-)

The next day I was up by 4AM getting ready to head offshore for the first time in my boat, dawnbuster. It was a great ride out and myself and Richard followed Tugger out to the bait grounds first then to the 24s. After dropping a pilly tail in the water the line started to peel of the reel before I even had the bail arm down. I set the hook and proceeded to fight the fish landing a 57cm Snapper. My first snapper!

Next we moved on trying to find more reef. Richard had a few good runners but no hook ups. Next my 2000 reel started peeling off line again, nearly 200 yards went out before I brought it under control. After a five minute fight I got broke off. Unsure what the fish was, but it dived down deep. After this the action started to die off. At this point the hang overs were kicking in and Richard "burlied" up a few times before we decided to head into the seaway.

Back at the seaway the bontio tuna was on. We through a few slugs around without much luck. One nice angler there was giving us some tips as we tried. Kudos to him but it didn't help us.

We then went back to camp cleaned the fish and went off to the Coomera river. Same story all the fish were quiet.

Saturday night was a great feed! Again into the home brew and not long after asleep in my chair again!

It was a very good weekend and like last time I had a blast! I did get some pics from the Saturday arvo which I'll post up tonight.

My Boat

post-11167-144598865121_thumb.jpg

Food saturday night

post-11167-144598865135_thumb.jpg

Group Fishing...

post-11167-144598865145_thumb.jpg

Mad Mullets Boat

post-11167-144598865154_thumb.jpg

Thanks again guys and gals for the awesome weekend!!!!

Now that looks like a great weekend! Thanks for filling in the rest of us what we missed out on Tugger........the camp spit roasts and puddings sound unreal too :) I was lucky enough to spend my weekend driving to Bundy and back to pick up my son from his Nan's house else I woulda been there sampling the homebrew with the crew. Next time :(

What a weekend. I had been pretty busy at work but managed to bribe the bosses into letting me have Friday off so I could get some extra drinking time. Got down to wavebreak around lunch to see quite a few boys had already arrived. Setting up the anchor Mark came over to help set the rear rope for me. First important question, is everyone drinking yet. Looking down at his can of XXXX was really all I needed.

Dragged out the first keg and set up with the boys for a bit of story telling and game plans for the next day. The beer was going down very nicely, staying cool enough in a bucket of ice and everyone seemed to really like the amber ale. Next trip I will be going all malt and tweak the amarillo hops a little bit more I think. It was a really nice beer but could be even better. We had some amazing live entertainment from Richard with some original songs and a few classics. I just regret I couldn't get out and get the camera quick enough to film it. Sorry bud but you have to just put a show on for us next trip. The fire was going great, the boys really kept it stoked for us and with an extra bit of 11pm chainsaw action the kids decided to turn us into marshmallows with the addition of some crates thanks to Kurt. After a good night we decided to turn in and see what the morning brings us.

Well morning is here, it seems it bought a freaking massive hangover with it. I don't know who bought it with them. Could everyone please leave them at home next time. After a quick game plan sorted I headed out solo with the boys into the nice conditions to hit the first spot. After doing some long drifts I picked up a just legal snapper but let him go. Didn't want him to shrink 2cm over the weekend on ice and cop a fine. Did a few more drifts and I have a visitor checking out the back of the boat again. I started flicking everything I had at the 70cm cobia but he was just not interested. If I had been able to get some livies at the first area I may have got some action but no go. He followed the boat for about 10 minutes then decided to take off.

Mark came over and said with the wind kicking up we would move to the next spot and give it a go. A quick call on the radio to everyone had the flotilla moving in, ready to reek havoc on the poor fishies. After quick directions from Mark we set up our ambush. Without any livies I dropped a bit of tuna out and tried to get some action on the livebait jig. Pulled up quite a few whiting, nothing legal and was starting to think I should call it and get rid of the cracking headache. Two seconds later I see Brock bent over with a nice cobe, well things are starting to look up. Decided to stick it out as I knew if I headed back the kegs would be calling and that would be it for the day.

With not much action on my end and seeing Mark and Rob's boats getting some backing breaking fights I decided to try the old humble pillie out the back. Flicked one out on the stradic 5000, 20Lb braid with 2m of 30Lb leader, backed the drag right off and threw it up in rocket launcher so I could chill. It was out for a while and I look across at marks boat and see they are hooked up on another fish. Starting to get a bit cranky, cant get livies and it looks like livies are all thats working. I hear a faint weird noise and look up in desperation at the stradic. Mmmmm thats a bit weird, the rod tip is very slightly bent, drag slowly ticking out but the current isn't ripping quite that bad. Pull it down tighten the drag, wind up the slack til I can feel a blight bit of weight.

Well didn't hell break loose. I see a fish jump out of the water, Geez I must have a mackerel on and a shark is chasing it. The fish launches again, doesn't really look like a mackerel. Fish jumps again and I see the characteristic flicking of a very well known species,

OH MY :huh::huh: :evil: :evil: :woohoo: :woohoo: :unsure::unsure: :blush: :blush: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: GO I HAVE A :evil: :evil: :cheer: :cheer: :huh::huh:B)B)MARLIN ON

All I can hear is all the boys cheering and hollering every time it jumps. It just wouldn't stop popping out of the water, sometimes well over 1m out. My heart is going a million miles an hour and suddenly the hangover is long forgotten. All the flotilla had anchored in a semi circle around spot and the marlin was putting on a great aerobatic show for everyone. I start to have a bit of trouble keeping up with the marlin and then I started to see this nice yellow silly string piling up around the green silly string connected to the marlin. My stomach sunk. This is going to go bad, very bad. Running two rods by myself finally caught up with me.

The marlin kept putting on a great show then started heading closer and closer to me. I just kept cranking and hoping the circles would hold. Suddenly the marlin is jumping right next to the boat slapping the rear rod holder. I grab the leader on the rod and think I want a photo of this. I then had a quick rethink as I saw the marlins bill resembling the new and improved BJ carver-uperer and decided against it. The fish decided to help my decision and dived down the doing a quick jump about 3m from the boat and dislodging the hooks.

I just stand there for a moment and think what the :huh::huh::huh: just happened. Shrug of the shoulders and I resume my comfy seat and think about the keg waiting back at camp. That was one of the fish that was sort of on my dream bucket list, not really wanting to pay to catch one but if the chance came I would take it. I regretted not being able to get a picture with the beautiful creature but was also happy that it put such a great show on and I had some great people around to witness it all as well. He was over 1m up to maybe 1.5m but as everyone saw it they may be able to have a bit of a guess as well. The bill looked freaking massive 1m away from me, around 40cm and it would have been stupid to try and get that thing in my boat considering it could have damaged the keg. Thank god for game fishing rules and me retying a long bit of leader on at the first spot, I had caught my best trophy fish so far.

Well I was kind of floating after that and with the wind starting to pick up Mark made the call to head home. We had a arvo with Ash showing Kurt who is the real fisherperson, the kids keeping us warm, Splat trying to defend his ...... wrestling prowess????, and lots of other great stories that have become a bit of a blur. Awesome food with all the chooks, bread, a massive pav, Haines sugar apple concoction that could give you a heart attack at the smell of it. Great night.

I would like to thank Mark for organizing and directing the activities, Mick for being a wealth of knowledge and entertainment, Rob, well rob you and your family are a bucket of laughs and a pleasure to have around, Ted Real friendly bloke with great firestarting kids, Kurt for the timber and knowledge, Kev, don't know if we should thank you. Actually you did take some great pictures, thank you very VERY much ;);) :woohoo: :woohoo: and every other single person who helped, rocked up and made this event possible.

For everyone who couldn't make it clear your calender for the next one. It is a awesome weekend and you would be silly to miss it.

Cheers all

BJ

The winds were light to moderate most of the weekend on the gold coast a few times it got up a bit more but didnt worry us or the camp at all

Sounds like a great weekend for all. How'd you guys go with the winds??

Nice cobia Brock :)

Any pictures of the marlin going for those jumps?

Thanks Henry mum cooked me some of my cobia last night and it tasted great

Good to meet everyone on the weekend i had fun especially the amount of wood we had for the fire these are great trips away and i can't wait for the next one

Sounds like a great weekend for all. How'd you guys go with the winds??

Nice cobia Brock :)

Any pictures of the marlin going for those jumps?

Thanks for the photos of saturdays roast up Julian, your boat goes well offshore now you have to come to the next one at wavebreak and try and upgrade that snapper

Was a really good weekend yet again.......

Food saturday night

[attachment=56437]RIMG0081.JPG[/attachment]

Hey great to see you guys had a great time, shame we missed it. The missus and I love to sit behind wavebreak overnight too before hitting the reefs. 36's our fave' for knobbies. Hey if any one could clue us up on the close in cobia spot(s) would be appreciated as I love to hook up on those brutes. We get a few on the 36's as by-product, but not many, more so we get to smash the bonito that most commonly hit us on the way back up when bait checking.My strangest by product out there was a 10 kg calamari, was bloody huge and near bent the net pole tring to lift it into the boat. We let it go as I thought if the bugger can get soooooo big so far, well lets see if it can get bigger and supprise someone else some day ! (would of been a shame to cut up such a majestic creature of that size just for pieces of bait(though gotta say was tempted)) a pm on cobia co-ordinates would be appreciated.ta)

Steve and Kellie

Cant help you with gps spots as i dont know how to get them off my gps as they are just numbered and i dont know which number are the spots they just become evident when i get close to them. If you come along to the next social down there i willing to show you if you follow us out but basically cobia love hanging around the northern end of any of those inshore reefs just find a good bit of structure or where the bait is holding up and send down livies they will come in to you if you burley up as well

Sounds like I missed an awesome one Mark, thanks for the report. Well done Brock for the cobia and BJ for the marlin, sensational stuff for so close to the Seaway!!!! Black marlin I'm assuming? I was up fishing off Yeppoon - report to come including losing what would have been the fish of my life (by far!!) so far.

Late report! Recently I've not had much luck with fish and this weekend was not much different :( Finally got something big and heavy on Tug's "Whopper Stopper", ended up passing it onto Mick Fillet's boat, but whilst fighting it I missed out on seeing the Marlin (never seen one in the flesh before.) Ho Hum! It's all been said so I'll throw a few pics up;

Richard and Brock taking a break from yabbying;

post-4325-144598866017_thumb.jpg

Tugger hard at it;

post-4325-144598866024_thumb.jpg

Friday night Cyclone H came through the camp;

Mark got done;

post-4325-144598866032_thumb.jpg

So did Brendan;

post-4325-144598866039_thumb.jpg

Mark explaining to Malc how he was caught off balance.....Honest!

post-4325-144598866047_thumb.jpg

Saturday night's fire;

post-4325-144598866053_thumb.jpg

Surfer's from the Cobia spot (next camera will have GPS logging ;) )

post-4325-14459886606_thumb.jpg

Saturday's Cobia Spot;

BJ, blissfully unaware that he was about to make the AFO news big time!

post-4325-144598866066_thumb.jpg

Blokes having fun!

post-4325-144598866074_thumb.jpg

Eddy battling the monster from the deep on the Whopper Stopper;

post-4325-144598866081_thumb.jpg

Brock owning the Cobia;

post-4325-144598866086_thumb.jpg

Mark on the gaff;

post-4325-144598866094_thumb.jpg

Brock and his catch;

post-4325-144598866101_thumb.jpg

Boats @ WaveBreak;

post-4325-144598866106_thumb.jpg

post-4325-14459886611_thumb.jpg

Cobia fillets were Yum! Thanks to Mark for organising and taking me down there (and back!) Thanks to all the cooks and chefs, Great Times, Great people!

Late Saturday night after much debauched, crude and fun convo the girls piped up telling us all that this season flowery prints were out and geometric prints were in.

Always keen to be up to date with fashion would someone please tell me if this young lady on the party Joker boat is this season or last season.......

post-4325-144598866115_thumb.jpg

post-4325-144598866123_thumb.jpg

post-4325-144598866128_thumb.jpg

(Note separate post for easy modding! :P )

With my vast fashion experience Kev i say that looks pretty good and i'm glad there was a lot of fashion to look at over the weekend

Late Saturday night after much debauched, crude and fun convo the girls piped up telling us all that this season flowery prints were out and geometric prints were in.

Always keen to be up to date with fashion would someone please tell me if this young lady on the party Joker boat is this season or last season.......

[attachment=56528]bb1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=56529]bb2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=56530]bb3.jpg[/attachment]

(Note separate post for easy modding! :P )

Archived