sharking sesh 8/11/12 bribie

staunch_1

hey guys and gals

me brother called me sunday to go out fishing at bribie island so i thought i might aswell take my shark gear for a test run.we headed to bribie around 4 and quickly setup at a spot that looked good for sharks and also good fishing from the beach.

i started rigging up my tld 50 and the peligic 50sw.finaly yaked the baits out just before dark as the tide was just to start going back out.the current is alittle bad at bribie so i use the sand bag bethod to keep my bait down which is a 20litre heshen sandbag.i usualy only shovel in 3 shovels of sand the ziptie it up so no sand could escape i then tie a light trace which is around 1.5m to 2m in length running from my hook to the sandbag.after the shark takes the bait the light 10lb trace just gets bitten straight off or snaps.

after yaking them out we set everything up and started to have afew drinks after about an hour of my shark lines out my palegic got smashed and started peeling off line i quickly set to strike and bang it was on but only after a good solid run and it felt like a solid shark the line just went slack.to my own stupidy the albright knot i tied to join the 50lb line to my 130lb leader gave out.i was pissed but still happy that knew my spot produced.now i was just waiting on the tld 50 to scream.after another few hours just about on the end of the run out tide something picked it up and started to run but not with as much speed as the last but it was takeing line and of course just as i got to the tld 50 it stopped so i'd say he knew something wasnt right and spat it.i had 1 rig left and a mullet so i thought i'd give it a crack.i was using slimys on the last 2.

sunrise came we gave it another hour then decided to call it and head home.so looks like spot is the goods just need to work on the knots haha.here are acouple of pics and hoped you enjoyed the read.

post-10523-144598865236_thumb.jpg

post-10523-144598865246_thumb.jpg

Hey guys,

I have a reel around the 9000 size and to get more metres on it I have filled it with 500m of 80lb braid and a top-shot of 100m of 80lb mono.I have a just wondering what knot you guys would use to tie a mono top-shot onto your braided main line?

I have read up on so many different methods but really don't want to loose a fish of a life time.

In regards to the knot giving way, I've found a good way to keep my albright knots (and similar knots) from slipping is to use a lighter and heat up the tag of the heavy mono leader. It will mushroom on the end. Best to have a short tag and make the mushroom nice and close to the knot and make it to about 1.5 times the original line thickness. Make sure you don't get the flame too close to your braid.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived