Mitsubishi Triton GLX-R - Thoughts/Feedback

Manni79

Hey Everyone

Been looking at turning over the Forester for a diesel 4wd as I'm keen to get into more four wheel driving and have something that tows the boat a lot easier, especially if we do some long trips or even upgrade the size of the boat.

I've been looking at the Triton GLX-R however I wanted to see whether anyone on the site has one or can part with some feedback on this vehicle

I'm looking at the 2012 Triton GLX-R

Thanks

Manni

I was seriously considering one when I was first looking. All makes/models have their little gripes, the main one for diesels particularly the Triton was a build up of carbon in the manifold over time (sluggish and reduced power over time). Since you are looking at the 2012 model, I hope they've changed the design. Search "triton carbon manifold" in google.

The Triton offers the best bang for buck in terms of accessories (bluetooth, mp3, rear power window - great for rods, interior, etc). It also had the most leg space in the rear seats which I guess is more important for taller people. A 3L engine means that it's got a bit more grunt at low rpm than the other 2.5L diesels.

What made me steer away from it was, the carbon issue (one of the first things I blocked in the Navara). Not sure if you can block it in the Mitsu. It also has one of the smallest tub space, a sacrifice you make for rear cabin space. The main thing that turned me off it was how it drove, all fourbies will feel like a boat on the road but it didn't feel very road-like to me compared with the Hilux or Navara but that is a matter of personal preference and how often you use it for work, etc.

There are plenty of aftermarket accessories for most of the main 4wds and I don't think you will be unhappy with it. One thing to consider is that if you intend on upgrading to a bigger boat in future then definitely go auto transmission. Most if not all the diesels now come with a dual mass flywheel and a lot of people (Nissan, Mitsubishi, Hilux, etc.) alike are rooting standard clutches pretty quickly when towing.

Cheers

Eug

Hey Eug

Thanks for the feedback mate, I've heard a little bit about the carbon build up and had looked at various threads and articles - the ML series from a few years back used a 3.2 litre diesel engine and seemed to be the motor most commonly experiencing the issue - the MN's are running 2.5 litre diesel, supposedly Mitsubishi had to re design/develop the manifold to mitigate this issue and was taken in to account with this motor...

Most issues I find seem related to the old 3.2 litre so perhaps this has been resolved....

P.S Yeah it seems to tick all the boxes and definitely good value for $$$ the interior is a bit dated but most of the cars in that market are kinda the same lol - A few aftermarket upgrades could be on the cards later on ;)

Thanks again mate !

Hi Manni, you will not be dissapointed with a TD ute, IMHO however the Triton is as ugly as sin, I would be looking at the BT-50's or the Rangers, I know Rossco has one and couldn't be happier, Toyota's are nice, but overpriced and underspecced, anyway, good luck with the new car, whatever TD ute you get, you will not be dissapointed. I am very happy with mine.

Hi Manni, you will not be dissapointed with a TD ute, IMHO however the Triton is as ugly as sin, I would be looking at the BT-50's or the Rangers, I know Rossco has one and couldn't be happier, Toyota's are nice, but overpriced and underspecced, anyway, good luck with the new car, whatever TD ute you get, you will not be dissapointed. I am very happy with mine.

The shape of the Triton has grown on me Eddie, wasn't a fan when i first looked at them a while back. I was considering the Navara & Ranger but in the end this one seemed to stack up for me.

When you looking at buying Mann? Don't forget to check out the Nissan Navara too, they are an awesome truck as well, and the new D-max. The new Colorado, has a Fiat engine in it, it may need replacing like the Nissan Patrol engines as they are largely unproven from what I understand.

Will prob order one this week Eddie ;)

Had an ML with the carbon issue! Got a 2012 glx a few months ago, couldn't be happier! Check out new triton.net

I've got an 07 ML GLS with no carbon issues as yet. Blanking plates are cheap, about $30 and will save you worrying about it anyway.

New Triton.net is great, alot of Triton owners with more knowledge than I thought anyone could have.

Just make sure you use the search function before asking any questions though!

Is recommend going to eagers newstead for servicing if you do get one, service manager is great, he's on newtriton.net as well and everyone on there raves about him, he's sorted me out with a couple of "warranty" issues as well

Had an ML with the carbon issue! Got a 2012 glx a few months ago, couldn't be happier! Check out new triton.net

I've got an 07 ML GLS with no carbon issues as yet. Blanking plates are cheap, about $30 and will save you worrying about it anyway.

New Triton.net is great, alot of Triton owners with more knowledge than I thought anyone could have.

Just make sure you use the search function before asking any questions though!

Is recommend going to eagers newstead for servicing if you do get one, service manager is great, he's on newtriton.net as well and everyone on there raves about him, he's sorted me out with a couple of "warranty" issues as well

Cool, thanks !

sorry to rain on the parade , have one for a company car, the auto is absolutley terrible and k's per tank the worst i have had could be just mines a friday car but really disappointed, would have to say navara has had the nicest driving auto i have driven so far but havent driven a auto colorado or dmax yet ( new models) other then that it has been reliable and fairly comfortable (have done over 60,000ks in about 15 months.

sorry to rain on the parade , have one for a company car, the auto is absolutley terrible and k's per tank the worst i have had could be just mines a friday car but really disappointed, would have to say navara has had the nicest driving auto i have driven so far but havent driven a auto colorado or dmax yet ( new models) other then that it has been reliable and fairly comfortable (have done over 60,000ks in about 15 months.

Yeah I drove the auto and wasn't impressed but then again i'm not that keen on auto's maybe some day down the track that will change, looking at the manual

yeah mate can get stuff for D40 , Hilux, Triton (MN), colorado, Ranger, Amarok, Dmax , Great wall. I work for a company that makes Genuine and aftermarket accessories for 4x4 crew cabs. Soft tonneaus, hard tonneaus (hard lids), Canopies, Sportsbars, Nudgebars and fender flares for Toyota hilux and 70 series ute.feel free to PM for info

Archived