Looking at buying a Hobie with mirage drive.

Wombat73

length is usually what determines speed on yaks,

the outback is about 12ft long but it is wider as well so I believe the revo 11 and outback would have similar speeds.

Your decision should also depend on where you are planning to fish.

for offshore I would pick the revo 13 as it cuts through waves better during surf launches or on the water.

for inshore applications, estuary and rivers, I'd get the outback; it offers more stability and area to put your lures at the side (these may be washed overboard offshore due to waves)

deciding between a revo 11 and revo 13 then depends on your height, I spoke to mal who suggested a 13 for me as there was more distance between seat and mirage drive; I'm 6'2

if at all possible, try to head down to sunstate hobie on a saturday and try out the various yaks and see which one suits your needs

just my thoughts, I went through the same thing when I was buying my hobie, ended up with a revo 13

If "speed" is so important, ditch the plastic idea and go for glass. If its about enjoying the fishing from yak experience, then take a couple of different ones for a test ride. Like a motorbike, you will like or dislike the seating/design pretty quickly. And fuller figured backsides fit better in an outback. Kreel has broken a couple of revo's (I'm just sayin')

I work down at Sunstate Hobie, Test them both out and find out for yourself.

Saturdays from 9-3 just ring before Saturday and book in!!

I can say from experience, I love the Revo!! but fishing has to = everyone's advice on the outback! But weight is the only factor

:dry: every week someone comes in with the same question ;)

its actually easier to left the heavier outback onto roof racks than the revo

Its better balanced and easier to hold onto

are you sure? :whistle:

Makes sense to me, slightly shorter and a bit wider would mean better balance, if anyone will know it's shortie as he owns both.

;) i reckon the opposite... but ohh well you guys can actaully get your arms around them ;) ! :woohoo:

I've been fishing from a Revo for years now. I also thought it was about speed when I first looked at the options.

I've since found that if you pedal faster it goes faster, pedal slow it goes slower. What I'm saying is that its about the ease of pedalling for a given speed.

Tacklbox is much lighter than me and she effortlessly glides along in her Revo easily keeping up with me. We also fish with Tom in his Outback and he has no trouble matching speed.

I don't think you will ever need to reach top speed for any length of time on your yak so the question for me was about fitting 2 yaks on top of our car (Revo). If I had my option though I would get an Outback for the deck space. BTW Pussca is an hermaphrodite.

• 1 month later...

Ok, after following the good advice I have finally bought an Outback. I tested all 3 (Outback, Revo 13, and Revo 11) and all were excellent.

The revo 13 was great for its ability to keep gliding through the water even after you stop peddling.

The Revo 11 was an absolute rocket ship, great acceleration and turning but e little wet.

The Outback slapped through the water a bit but it has the best layout for fishing, without a doubt.

Loading and unloading the Outback onto to the top of the 4wd is a little clumsy but with the aid of a homemade rack-n-roll (bar extended out the side of the roof rack) it's a breeze. Just pull the kayak along the side of the car, lift the back up onto the extended bar, lift the front onto the roof rack and slide the back onto the roof rack. All good.

In all I would say that the outback and the revo 13 would both suit me fine. When you pick one you will be buying both the right one and the wrong one. Both are fantastic and very different.

Thank you all for your help.

Archived